Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

More Chapter Approved Goodies!

GW Community released some more info today, this time on some Faction rules. They've done a great job at pounding out a bunch of rather solid codexes (that have only required a few post-release patches :P), but obviously can't get everyone a codex right away. The BPO did some cool stuff with Strategems, but the gulf between haves and have-nots have grown ever wider. But fear not! Chapter Approved has something for each of the following factions:

40kChapApp-Nov21-Factions5fw.jpg

Yup! Orks, Sisters, Genestealer Cults, Thousand Sons... They are all getting something to help tie them over! These will be given a Warlord Trait, Relic, and some Stratagems (GW said at least 1, that's probably Knights). The Stratagems sound like they'll be nothing to sneeze at either. Just check out this one for our favourite Psycho-Killer-Death-Clowns;

40kChapApp-Nov21-Boxout1jst.png

3+ Invulnerable saves. I've heard those are pretty good. Add in that a nearby Spiritseer will reduce your chances to wound the unit, and suddenly those Clowns become as tough as Solitaires!

As for Relics, here's one that you can take on a Knight if it's your Warlord.

40kChapApp-Nov21-Boxout4wk.jpg

Joining in on the rerolling 1's business is no small benefit, and such a weapon on a Knight will see it carving through other Super heavies like butter.

Okay, here's one for our Ork friends.

40kChapApp-Nov21-Boxout2ev.jpg

This might sound middling at best, but then you remember that about of all Ork shots that hit are 6's, so for a mere 1 Command Point you're getting about half the effect of the "shoot twice" Stratagems that normally run 3CP! Especially with Bikers and Deffguns, that's a whole lot more DAKKA!

But they can't all be winners. Here's a Space Wolf stratagem;

40kChapApp-Nov21-Boxout3tg.jpg

I don't think GW understands that almost no rounds of close combat go longer than 1 round, as it's almost always better to run away. If you do stay in Close Combat, I doubt that shooting a few Pistols are going to cause many casualties. Of course, for 1 CP, that could be worth it, but again, you'll only be stuck in against someone that wants to keep you there, so outside using True Grit (very cool and thematic by the way) to kill enough guys to unlock you from combat, you probably won't be seeing it used much.

Some more stuff from Faiet212 - codified as a RUMOUR;

Necrons
Warlord Trait- Reduce damage inflicted on your Warlord by 1 with a minimum of 1. 
Relic- 1 time per battle at the end of movement phase, remove the bearer of the relic and one unit within 3" and set them up anywhere on the battlefield out side of 9" away from enemy models
Stratagems
1. 2CP a Canoptek unit at the beginning of your turn gains Reanimation protocols until end of turn
2. 2CP re-roll reanimation protocol rolls of 1 this turn.

A TON of good stuff here! First off, the Warlord Trait is a good leg up for when you make a mistake and leave your warlord exposed to a deep striking unit of Plasmas. It's not terribly useful for skilled players, but very useful for helping you out of a jam.

The Relic is a slam-dunk, bringing back the Necron Lord's ability to just up and teleport! The one use per game is a good way to cap its effectiveness, but this is an item many Necrons have been dreaming to have.

The Stratagems here are just stupid good. First off, welcome back regenerating Wraiths. This was seen as one of the weakest parts about them that they couldn't come back to life, but giving it to a unit for 1 turn, and then dumping critical stuff into them for that turn (Res Orb, close to Ghost Ark, next stratagem) will mean you can very suddenly get back a huge points investment! The second stratagem to rerolls 1's looks to be ARMY-WIDE, which is bonkers good, and gives me the chills I felt in 7th against the Men of Metal.

Orks
Warlord Trait- Add 1 to characters strength
Relic- Range and Type: Melee S: +2, AP2, D3 Wound rolls of 6+ inflict D3 mortal wounds instead of normal damage
Stratagems
1. 1CP 2 infantry units within 2" of each other and one contains more than 10 models and the other less than 10 models, you may combine them into a single unit for the rest of the game at the end of the movement phase
2. 1 CP select an Ork infantry or Biker unit before they shoot, each to hit roll of a 6+ gets to immediately shoot again. extra attacks cannot generate additional shots.

I have yet to have a game with or against the Orks, so I can't really tell you how effective they will be, but "more than they had before" is pretty helpful. Is +1S worth more than 6+ FnP? Unlikely, but it's an option you didn't have before. The relic of some kind of super-choppa seems really good, and will likely be the default equipment option of Warbosses of the Future. The extra shots one I already covered. The Mob Up! one is neat, and might be worth tossing a command point at.

Tau
Warlord Traits
1. re-roll failed to hit rolls if they have if they have not moved this turn
2. the Warlord can advance and shoot  as if it had not moved
Relic- 1 time per game, you may re-roll a single hit roll, wound roll, or damage roll for the bearer or a unit within 6". Also each time a stratagem is used by opponent, roll a d6 and if a 6 is rolled, gain 1CP
Stratagem- use when an enemy unit is hit by a marker light, gain d3+1 markerlight counters next to the unit.

Rerolls are amazing, and rerolling all failed to hit rolls if you have not moved is quite good, but also mean you're risking your position if the enemy gets in close. This is a straight up great buff still, even if you can't dodge away afterwards. There's a second Warlord straight here that is also very good; moving AND advancing AND shooting as if still means your Commander is always going to get to a good position and continue the fight.

The Relic is pretty rocking, recouping Command Points is really good. Just ask any Imperial Guard player or Ultramarine player. Sure it's not as good as others, but when your options are "not having this" and "having this for free", well I think you'll be taking it. However, it's neat that it's ALSO a one-use-reroll. Considering the stuff you can reroll with it, this is almost as good as getting a free command point, except better because you can use it AND a Command Point!

Lastly, we have a Stratagem that's going to make Markerlights useful again, but we don't see a Stratagem cost here (though I'm guessing it'll be 1CP). Gaining 1+d3 markers, presumably in addition to any other they already have, means that a single unit of Pathfinders are going to be able to do all the Markerlighting you'll ever need!

Edited by Yarium

Matched Play updates today from GW Community!

Not a lot here that we haven't seen already; confirmation of ObSec, plus pretty much all the ITC stuff is in effect. You can't reroll Seizing the Initiative, Flyers can't grab objectives (even if hovering), and Understrength Units go into Aux detachments. The MEATY portion of today is this right here;

40kChapApp-Nov22-Chart1ge-500x334.jpg

This is a little graphic showing the silhouettes of some of models that are getting points adjustments. Going up; Roboute Gulliman, St Celestine, and Belisaurius Cawl. All three of these are INCREDIBLY potent HQ's that are appearing in many of the top competitive lists. You might think that won't affect the Sudbury crowd too much, but seeing points increases for these units means you don't have to feel so bad bringing these guys to the table against your opponents. Chances are, they'll still be great to use, but you won't have quite as big an army alongside them.

In green are some of the points decreases. From here we can see Harlequin Death Jesters (who are hiding better than a Callidus Assassin at the moment), Plague Marines (who are very, very expensive for a single wound model), and Gorka/Morkanauts. These aren't terrible units, but they just don't pull their weight in the current game, so it'll be nice to see these get changed. Seeing more actual Death Guard models in Death Guard lists I'm sure will be appreciated!

Among the most significant changes is to Malefic Lords; these masters of malevolent magics are now 80 points – still a very competitive HQ choice for any aspiring Chaos champion, but less open to abuse by less scrupulous players.

Yup, 80 point Malefic Lords. You don't see these in Sudbury much, but in the competitive world they've been a terror, Smite Spamming their way to infinite (and possibly beyond). Some folks are claiming that Smite Spam is over powered, but chances are that's because of Primaris Psyker spam and Malefic Lord Spam. Well, watch out, because if Malefic Lords are flying up, chances are that Primaris Psyker is too! Having "Smite" cost a minimum amount of points, especially for the full-strength Smite, is something that needs to be better balanced in all kinds of games.

What other mysteries await us? We'll see shortly!

You found the deathguard overpriced, eh? I never thought about it. They're like 14 pts a model or something now?

Actually, they're 19pts per model. Granted, this is already much less than in the past, but then again, they used to also be immune to Morale, and multi-damage weapons didn't exist. I'm imagining they're going to drop to 17pts/model, which is a bit more than a standard CSM.

Those Necron things have have potential. One thing people are waiting to see is how the -1 damage works with quantum. If it reduces the damage to 1, before your quantum roll it's not going to be as strong on CCB. If it can happen after quantum though, dam. -1 damage, then regenerate a wound....

The wraiths have potential but most of the time your only going to get one back. You might get the same value from re-rolling the wraiths 3+ invul save (especially if its a D6 damage weapon). The issue is that wraiths are fast and aggressive. Your cryptek is slow and going to have a very hard time keeping up with the wraiths to stack the bonuses. Ghost arks dont seem too popular, and will normally be by your slower moving infantry which is rarely close to your wraiths after turn 1. Might be possible to get it to your wraiths, but you need to plan its location the turn before as it reanimations before its movement. That means planning what your going to stack bonuses on before your enemy shoots. So this strategem has potential to be useful, but will be very hard to stack with other (current) reanimation bonuses. That being said getting back even one wraiths is nice. Those buggers are tough! Useful but I don't think too powerful.

Re-rolling 1's on reanimation is decent... but not enormous. If you have enough dead warriors / immortals to make it worth using that strategem chances are you had to spend 2 command points to pass your moral check. Also a skilled opponent will focus on a single squad, so your unlikely to have multiple squads benefiting from this. Again, useful, good sometimes, but not too good.

Love the Relic, it will fit into the next army I am planning to make PERFECTLY, glad to have it back. Overall there are some decent things. A little extra help but nothing too strong. Which is good, we are already balanced, its mostly more options that are comparable in strength to what we currently have access to. But having more options is very nice.

I was hoping to see some stuff on daemons, but I guess that is the next book or something? Something needs to be done about that GUO. Hah hah... that model is 20 years old. 

58 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I was hoping to see some stuff on daemons, but I guess that is the next book or something? Something needs to be done about that GUO. Hah hah... that model is 20 years old. 

You are correct. The daemon book will be in January. Which means they won't have anything in chapter approved. In the nurgle book and other books there has been art of a new looking Guo, which would lead me to believe there will most likely be a new one coming. I am super pumped for the Daemon codex. 

10 hours ago, Ed-war-d said:

Those Necron things have have potential. One thing people are waiting to see is how the -1 damage works with quantum. If it reduces the damage to 1, before your quantum roll it's not going to be as strong on CCB. If it can happen after quantum though, dam. -1 damage, then regenerate a wound....

Well, it would happen at the same time as Feel No Pain type stuff happens; you're already failed your saving throw, so you are now taking the damage. This means that both the -1 damage and the Quantum Shields are applying at the same time. By the rules, whomever's turn it is gets to choose the order of the effects, so on your opponent's turn it'll be less useful, and on your turn it'll be more useful. By the way, it's always better for the person shooting at the 'Crons to put the -1 dmg first, because the amount of damage you'll actually deal whether it gets stopped by Quantum Shielding or not doesn't change, whereas your chance of actually getting through the damage is better if you apply it first.

Yeah. That'd be super cool. As mentioned, that GUO is almost as old as a good portion of GWs current player base.. Hah hah.