Sign in to follow this  
Taylor

Adventures in Death... Kingdom Death!

I've been commissioned to paint the largest pledge for the game Kingdom Death: Monster. 

The client wants it to have a dark anime feel to it - something like Berserk. Here are the starting survivors. 

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_001839.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_002221.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_002319.jpg

Here are the intimacy characters. I have no idea what they are (though I have a pretty good idea of what they do 😉). 

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_171358.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_171303.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20171119_171442.jpg

So, hold onto your butts, cause this shit is going to get real weird... real fast. 

Nice job, the shading has a real nice gradient on the fleshtones. I never really understood all the craze over Kingdom Death sculpts, and yes, some of them are very... odd? 

How many figures are there to paint?

Lol.. 12 expansions over the next four years. My client got this pledge. 

• Kingdom Death: Monster Core Game 1.5
  • Gambler's Chest
  • Frogdog T-shirt
  • All 12 Current Expansions (Dragon King, Flower Knight, Etc...)
  • All new* expansions from this kickstarter
  • All new* pinups from this kickstarter
  • All new* promos from this kickstarter
  • All Pinups & Promos from last Kingdom Death: Monster kickstarter
  • Pinups of Death - Series 1
  • Pinups of Death - Series 2

There is a metric ton of weirdness to paint. It's cool with me though... I love weird. 

Love the paint job and figured I would check out the game to see what's up ... this was a mistake.

You weren't kidding when you said shit was going to get weird

Image result for Kingdom death models

Behold the wet nurse ... fuck me.  Can't even post the view from the other side of that thing as I'm sure I'd be violating the terms of service here.  Its like the models for this game were conceived of by a prepubescent D&D nerd.  Major case of actual battle bikinis going on here too.

Just ... ugh.

Edited by StreetPizza

That stuff doesn't bother me. It's just the all encompassing weirdness of the world. It reminds me a lot of Berserk, or other weird anime horror stuff. 

I love it, but it is weird as fuck. 

I just can't imagine why anybody would ever want that thing on their shelf.  

Mom comes over for dinner and asks "How's the hobby going?  Any thing new ... OMG WTF is that."

What self respecting game store owner would ever allow that thing to played in their shop?

Good luck to who ever plans on owning it on ever getting laid again.  Imagine as a woman walking into somebody's apartment and seeing that thing nicely painted on the shelf.  I mean if you turn it around its tail is literally about rape a chick.  I fully appreciate weirdness in a world but full blown misogyny for misogyny's sake is a bridge too far for me.

Edited by StreetPizza

Oh.. the male sculpts are just as bad. 

I do think it's pretty funny though that people are totally fine with excessive gore and violence.. but draw the line when it comes to nudity or weirdness. 

Forge-god-thumbnail_1024x1024.png?v=1476

As for the pin ups... they're pin ups. 

There are lots of stuff like this - what self respecting store owner would allow any of this shit in their shop. It's nothing but gratuitous violence. 

18 minutes ago, StreetPizza said:

Good luck to who ever plans on owning it on ever getting laid again.  Imagine as a woman walking into somebody's apartment and seeing that thing nicely painted on the shelf.  I mean if you turn it around its tail is literally about rape a chick.  I fully appreciate weirdness in a world but full blown misogyny for misogyny's sake is a bridge too far for me.

That statement bugs me. To imply that collecting models like this a rapist is as dumb as saying you are more prone to violence because of the game you play. It's shit like this that perpetuates that people who play grand theft auto are more likely to commit crimes. 

Gimme a break, Dave. Art is art - having worked as an assistant curator, I've seen a lot more fucked shit than this... and it was an art gallery open to the public. 

I appreciate your opinion, but it's a pretty extreme reaction to a bunch of weird models that make YOU uncomfortable. 

You know what makes me uncomfortable? American Idol and examples of mediocrity like The Walking Dead.. Lol.

I never implied that the person owning it is a rapist.  I think you might be projecting your own insecurities there.  I implied that somebody seeing a piece like that on a shelf would be very uncomfortable with their surroundings.  

I don't have a problem with pin ups or the like.

Art is art but some of it is in very bad taste.  I happen to find this art in a very bad taste especially within the context of a hobby already struggling with rampant misogyny. 

Edited by StreetPizza

3 minutes ago, StreetPizza said:

I never implied that the person owning it is a rapist.  I think you might be projecting your own insecurities there. 

I suggest you fucking clarify exactly what you mean by that.

That you think anybody criticizing your hobby is attributing those characteristics to you directly based on biased media coverage to that effect.  I.E. an insecurity ... not that you are a rapist.  You projected that insecurity upon my statement implying that I was saying the owner of the model is a rapist.

Hooo boy. This is quite the thread. 

Let's all take a step back and see where this broke down. In the process we can learn a little about logic and the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. 

First watch this

8 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

There are two things going on here. First, An Ad Homenim attack on anyone that likes this sort of thing, implying that having an appreciation of Horror, Gore, or otherwise questionable content, makes you less desirable as a human being. Considering that there are many women that are fans of this game, as well as similar art that is as graphic or horrifying. That's the point of this sort of thing. Saw, Human Centipiede, Tokyo Gore Police, and even Nightmare on Elm Street are trying to hit those nerves and make you think or make you sick. The sort of thinking that just dismisses or censures this kind of art, is just an easy way to push the real things that this sort of horror highlights out of the way since that's the point. The fact that you're at least a little disgusted by the sort of thing depicted here reminds you that you're not a fucking monster.

The second thing is improper use of misogyny. Unfortunately for most would be internet heroes, art doesn't make the world a worse place. Even Kingdom Death doesn't encourage people to hate women or think less of them. It's art, the expression of an idea. A nicely constructed diorama of a wife in a kitchen while her husband goes off to work is far more misogynist then this, particularly if set in the 60's where the notion of "You have to beat a woman sometimes" was accepted. Context is important. For example, a man making broad generalizations about what women would find attractive belittles women's ability to choose, excludes them from choosing this sort of thing as being appropriate, and uses an androcentric argument as its base. It's really only men that use getting "laid" as a basis for argument. I mean, imagine a woman hearing a man defend her sensibilites by using getting laid as a baseline. I fully appreciate the sentiment in trying to use that but that's actually misogynist. 

New topic, I'll keep it quick:

12 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

hold the wet nurse ... fuck me.  Can't even post the view from the other side of that thing as I'm sure I'd be violating the terms of service here.  Its like the models for this game were conceived of by a prepubescent D&D nerd.  Major case of actual battle bikinis going on here too.

First up, she's a prisoner. If you think that is a "Battle Bikini" you're either trolling, or have a serious problem with empathy. Occasionally, art depicts suffering and generally bad things. Just because its made doesn't mean it's supposed to be a good thing, just looking at it without context is really just a way to expose your own biases. 

Second, Kingdom Death was created by a large number of artists and writers that have a deep appreciation of the Horror genre and its trappings. Another Ad Homenim attack doesn't make you right, or even express the breath of a notion that you're trying to make an argument. 

Also Dave, avoid trying to use psychology, since you're an engineer and this isn't a problem that can be solved with an M4 nut. While you didn't imply that ownership of these things makes people rapists, you did frame them as undesirable. You threw insecurities out likely because it seemed like a good idea and Taylor took the bait. I'm not into psychology but I'm sure all of this has something to do with your mother, or your fascination with feces. I'm not exactly sure how psychology works I just know that mothers and poop factor into it a lot. 

And now for something completely different. 

Kingdom Death is extremely problematic because of the pinup miniatures and how they've decided to advertise their game. A lot of the material focuses on the boobies and not the actual game itself which is apparently pretty good. This distracts from the horror elements and focuses back on the traditional trope of "Show boobies, sell things". The quality of the miniatures for this game is reported to be phenomenal and there appears to be a lot of effort an thought put into it. Adding supplementary models that are pretty much just there for eye candy subverts that. This article puts it pretty well in this little quote:

The effort and quality of the Kingdom Death minis is some of the best I’ve ever seen. That kind of artistic merit stands on its own. That’s, in part, why the pinups make me frustrated and dissapointed. The Kickstarter page is full of the pinup images. It distracts from the product. KD is a horror board game in a nightmarish world. Why not more exquisite monsters, instead of the default to selling women out?

And if you've gotten this far congrats. I'm never coming back to this thread. Fuck all of you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Aczel said:

I mean, imagine a woman hearing a man defend her sensibilites by using getting laid as a baseline. I fully appreciate the sentiment in trying to use that but that's actually misogynist. 

That so much. I actually showed this thread to a bunch of female friends of mine, just be sure it got under my skin so much.

All of then pointed that statement out to me. It is far more inappropriate than ANY of the models or piece of art portrayed in Kingdom Death. 

More so, my client happens to be one of the nicest guys I know. This kickstarter made $12,000,000 for a reason... and just to point out, this is the second kingdom death kickstarter... the first one made $7,000,000. I'm sure his girlfriend had no issues with him paying me to paint these so he can put them in a display case prominently in his house.

I doubt anyone will freak out like you have in this thread. 

Hey, back on topic of the miniatures themselves - is it HIPS plastic, as in GW plastic, or more of a restic material?

It's HIPS plastic. The models are SUPER nice. I'm debating buying some of the monsters once they're available. 

That's a very nice paintjob.  I don't think I've seen the white lion painted like that before (although I'm not very knowledgeable on non-GW things) and it certainly stands out.  The dark anime feel is actually solid, and the whole project looks nice.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I'm going for a straight up anime feel like Berserk or Lodoss War. If you like what you see but haven't seen them, look them up. 😁

@Grimaldus @Taylor don't water your time with berserk on Netflix, it's so severely truncated that you'll know you're missing parts. But amazing, albeit slow paced, series. I understand why it was truncated, but it kills all of the personal relationship growth and character development. 

@Deademperor

You're crazy. 😛

The redone series far outshines the OAV from the 90s in terms of pacing. The animation isn't necessarily as good, but you get used to it pretty fast. Also, it leads into the new Berserk television series (look for Berserk 2016 and Berserk 2017). It's pretty awesome. 

I don't know mean... Pacing far better but that's because every episode of the old show recapped the episode before it for a solid 4 minutes of a25 minute show lol. 

The Netflix "movie" hit all of the highlights, don't get me wrong.... But it often showed the scenes of the side supporting characters with no context as to why they were worth focusing on. I'll gladly go through the annoying recaps and drawn out fight animations to get those back lol