Sign in to follow this  
MisterAG

Gribblies are Fast!

Holy smokes, those Genestealers and Hormagaunts from Hive Fleet Kraken are speedy! I played a game last night with @Yarium and the Questing Tendrils attribute is just incredible to get your little guys crashing forwards.

These guys are moving 6-8" plus 3D6 (pick the highest) for an Advance move. That's a 50% chance to get another 6" from the run. Kraken can also spend 1 command point to DOUBLE the advance roll (which again, is nearly always doubling a 5 or a 6).

You can spend a second command point to play Metabolic Overdrive to permit a unit to move (and advance) a second time in the movement phase to clear another 12" of distance before you even hit the psychic phase!

If you've got a Kraken Swarmlord in your list you can pop its ability in the shooting phase to let those buggers move (and advance) yet again.

Finally, the second half of Questing Tendrils permits units to leave combat and still charge - AMAZING!

-----------

This played out with a purple tide of 60 or 90 Genestealers absolutely FLYING across the table into my lines, striking incredibly hard and locking up several key shooting units. I was able to hold the line and counter charge in my turn (totally whiffing on several key shots to thin the herd) and do a bit of damage. At this point, however, the Stealers were already stuck in and the Hormagaunts were right behind them. The Stealers backed out of combat and adjusted their charges to touch even more units before Questing Tendrils permitted them to charge again and utterly wreck face.

Sounds pretty intense... I think it was kind of the same for Gaunts in 5th ed. I remember they moved and engaged incredibly fast. 

Yeah, I think it was 4th edition Nids that moved very fast, but at that point it was through cover (back when it was 2d6 pick the highest for moving through difficult terrain, most Nids got 3d6 pick the highest). Kraken got into Aaron's lines almost instantly with 44 Genestealers. Previously, Aaron's Bullygryns were nigh invincible, and his other Guard units performed very well at close-range firefights, so he deployed and moved a little too aggressively. Combined with a lackluster initial bombardment (Guard got the first turn), he was feeling okay, not expecting the Nids to just zoom across the table. 8"+3d6(pick highest) Advance+charge is a long distance, and against his forward-movement, allowed every single squad of Stealers to get the charge on my turn 1.

Leaving combat and charging is also great, as it made sure that I was able to start getting deeper into his lines and engage as many targets as possible without worrying too much about getting stuck in against the wrong kinds of targets. This neutralized so much of his second turn shooting that he wasn't able to mount as much of a counter-offensive as he otherwise would have.