Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

[Warhammer-Community]Making the Most of a Mourngul

Recommended Posts


Making a great looking army isn’t just about painting – converting is an effective way to add some variety to your force, as well as ensuring that multiples of the same model look distinct and interesting. For today’s Mind of Mengel, we’re looking at how Tyler approached one of the most ambitious conversions in his collection – an extensive re-pose of a Mourngul:


Almost every army has at least one awesome model that you know you want to include one of in your forces; maybe the Hellpit Abomination for Skaven or the Stardrake for Stormcast Eternals. What do you do, though, when you want to have two of these in your army? They’re awesome models, but often are meant to be built in just one pose. You can paint them slightly different to help distinguish them, or if you really want to take the plunge, you can break out your hobby knives and Green Stuff and get to work.

This is the exact situation I found myself in with my Nighthaunts. For my list, I decided I wanted to include two of the terrifyingly awesome Mournguls from Forge World, but the ghostly beast only comes in one pose. After looking over the model, and comparing it to the one I had already completed and painted, I came up with a plan of attack.

It’s important, before starting a potentially complicated conversion like this, to have an idea of what you want to change beforehand. I messed around with some images on my computer, cutting and pasting pictures of the model in different poses and drawing quick doodles. My original idea may have been a bit overly ambitious, but it did give me some good ideas to work off of. Once I had the model in hand, I came up with a few things that were musts for me. Firstly, I knew I wanted to change the pose of its upraised arm, since this was pretty distinctive, and also easier to convert since it was away from the bulk of the model and wouldn’t involve cutting it away from anything. Secondly, I wanted to remove the horse from its other hand. I had taken the horse out of the first model as well, since it just doesn’t fit with the basing on the rest of my army. For this second Mourngul, though, I wanted to make sure I took care of it in a different way.


For the upraised arm, I settled on simply lowering it and changing the angle slightly. This creates a pretty different silhouette for the model. Taking a hobby knife and some clippers, I cut away and trimmed the shoulder joint on the arm until it was rounded. There is a natural join in the model here, so it wasn’t too difficult. I then started hacking away at the shoulder joint on the body side of the model. This involved a little more work, and it took a few times dry-fitting the arm into the new socket before I was happy with the result. Once I had both sides of the join trimmed in such a way that I could reposition the arm lower and still have the anatomy look natural (or as natural as a sentient spectral mass of soul-hunger can), I pinned it in place using a Citadel Drill and a paperclip.


Taking some Green Stuff, I filled the new gap between the arm and body, making sure to follow the musculature already sculpted on the model, but adjusting it slightly to account for the new pose on the arm. Once this main gap-filling was hardened, I went back over it with a thinner layer of Green Stuff to match all of the details to the skin already sculpted, and smooth out the join between resin and Green Stuff, so it was seamless. Lastly, for the arm, I turned the hand slightly at the wrist. This required minimal cutting of the wrist to get the new angle to match up, as well as a tiny bit of gap filling with Green Stuff.


For the horse, I hacked away at it until everything that wasn’t covered by the Mourngul’s hand was gone. I then cut the bottom of it flat at the angle I wanted to glue the Mourngul to his base. Then I simply sculpted over this to look like a large rock, with a few other large rocks added to other areas on the base to tie it all together. Once this was all done, I decided I needed to change the face a bit. I thought about cutting off all of its hair, or cutting off its jaw and resculpting it, but in the end, I went for the simpler solution – adding a bit more hair on. Using Green Stuff again, I pushed its hairline forward a bit more and tried my best to replicate the sculpting style used on the rest of its hair. Now my Mourngul was ready for paint!


Once all painted up, using all the same techniques I used in my Hexwraith tutorial, it was ready for the tabletop with a distinctively different look from its ghostly twin. This model was resin, which is a little different to work with from plastic, but the good news is that a plastic model is even easier to cut up and convert than resin! So just remember, whether you’re adding in several Gargants to an orruk horde, or have two Spirits of Durthu stomping around the woods, with a little ingenuity, a hobby knife, and some Green Stuff, you can put your own spin on the monster to make each one it’s own unique creation.

TylerNov3-Mourngul_duo.jpg TylerNov3-mourngul1jc-454x500.jpg TylerNov3-mourngul2cs-454x500.jpg

Thanks Tyler! If you’re thinking of attempting a conversion on a Forge World model for yourself, make sure to check out Duncan’s guide to working with Forge World resin. Meanwhile, if you fancy a Mourngul of your own, you can order one today from Forge World.

The post Making the Most of a Mourngul appeared first on Warhammer Community.

View the full article

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this