Sign in to follow this  
DSBot5000

[Warhammer-Community]Blood & Glory: The Round-up and the Winning Lists

BGRoundUpNov6-Banner.jpg

Blood & Glory is over! With tournaments for Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire and much more, the weekend was a busy one – thankfully, our roving reporter Rhu is on hand to wrap up the results of the event:

Rhu: Blood & Glory was my first ever tournament and convention weekend outside of Warhammer World, but after a fantastic few days of gaming I can happily say that it definitely won’t be my last. I got to see some great play and great players, and it was really interesting to see which lists were successful in the tournaments as well as some of the unusual gaming formats available at the event.

It wouldn’t be Blood & Glory without Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and this year saw both competitive and non-competitive events for generals in the Mortal Realms. In the competitive tournament, Fyreslayers ended up making an incredibly strong showing, with Andrew Hughes’ forcestaking the top slot, with Gary Percival’s Kharadron Overlords and Tony Moore’s Tzeentch Arcanites just behind in second and third place.

BGRoundUpNov6-Image1h-500x334.jpg

Warhammer Achievements, on the other hand, was a novel event based almost exclusively around soft scores, with players picking up points for particularly exciting deeds in-game, as well as painting, converting and sportsmanship. I really loved the boards for Warhammer Achievements, designed especially for narrative-focused play in some of the Mortal Realms’ more unusual climes.

Over in the 41st Millennium, the winning Warhammer 40,000 list was an Ynnari detachment using largely Craftworlds units commanded capably by Matthew Edmunds. Two full-sized units of Swooping Hawks, two full-sized units of Dark Reapers and two Plasma Obliterators formed the core of the army, backed up with a few small units of Alaitoc Rangers and Drukhari Medusae. Second place was taken by Adam Ryland’s mixed Chaos army, while the third was taken by Sid Sidhu’s Dreadnought-based Dark Angels force. There was a diverse range of armies represented, with Chaos being the most played.

BGRoundUpNov6-Image3yw-500x334.jpg

The Horus Heresy was also well-represented, with a dedicated group of gamers battling it out in a narrative event. We’ll be catching up with organiser Greg Dann later in the week to hear how this went – from what I’ve heard, the results were pretty close.

The armies were particularly impressive, with 8 Legions and 4 Primarchs represented on the tabletops. My pick was a World Eaters force featuring some novel conversions (like a pair of Land Speeders styled after their Rogue Trader equivalents) and a pack of Abhuman allies converted from Catachan Jungle Fighters and Ungors – I may have to make some of my own for my Warhammer 40,000 army.

BGRoundUpNov6-Image4tw-500x500.jpg BGRoundUpNov6-Image8rs-500x500.jpg

As for the Shadespire Grand Clash, none other than yours truly managed to score a win! I had a tense series of games, and while I’m pretty familiar with Shadespire, I’ve only had my hands on the Sepulchral Guard for a couple of weeks and was only able to get a few practice games against Stormcast Eternals in before the event. In my last game, against Tom Martin’s Khorne Bloodbound, I managed to secure a convincing win but things could have gone quite differently had Tom scored some better rolls! If you’re looking to try out my Grand Clash winning deck, the full list is below:

Shadespire-DeckBuilding101-Subheader1kea

Battle Without End
Crushing Force
Denial
Determined Defender
Flawless Strategy
March of the Dead
More Able Bodies
Ploymaster
Skills Unforgotten
Supremacy
Superior Tactician
Victorious Duel

Shadespire-DeckBuilding101-Subheader2jrd

Ploys

Bone Shrapnel
Ceaseless Attacks
Clawing Hands
Daylight Robbery
Distraction
Duel of Wits
Restless Dead
Sidestep
Terrifying Screams
The Necromancer Commands

Upgrades

Daemonic Weapon
Deathly Charge
Fatal Strike
Frightening Speed
Great Strength
Grim Cleave
Legendary Swiftness
Lethal Lunge
Shadeglass Sword
Undying

I love Shadespire, and I’m overjoyed to have won. With the Las Vegas Open only a few months away, I’m committed to sharing everything I’ve learned about the game with the community so everyone can play as well as they possibly can. Watch this space for some more analysis of my deck as well as my opponent’s – in the meantime, feel free to see if it works for you in your local club or store! Meanwhile, tickets for the next Grand Clash at the LVO are now available and cost a mere $10 – if you think you’ve got what it takes to win the next trophy, get yours today.

BGRoundUpNov6-GrandClash-487x500.jpg

I’m most excited by the results from the tournament as a whole. Places 1-4 were each taken by a different warband, and while most players seem to have opted to play Steelheart’s Champions, there’s nothing to suggest that one warband is markedly stronger than the others. I came across a huge variety of decks during the day, with my opponent in the final, Tom, showing off some combos with Khorne I hadn’t even considered before.

BGRoundUpNov6-Image7vg-428x500.jpg

Blood & Glory also played host to some pretty exciting reveals. From the next three codexes, to skaven in Shadespire and the Darkoath Warqueen, check it out here if you missed it.

Thanks Rhu! If you missed out on the weekend, Warhammer Live was reporting all weekend on some of the top games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar as well as the Shadespire Grand Clash final – if you fancy watching some awesome games of Warhammer and maybe picking up a trick or two, you can watch them back by subscribing.

The post Blood & Glory: The Round-up and the Winning Lists appeared first on Warhammer Community.

View the full article