Sign in to follow this  
Taylor

Ch-ch-changes to Darkshard

Dark Shard Design Elements  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do we like the NewsBot and Discord

• I like and use them both!
    • Get rid of Discord and the Newsbot!
    • Get rid of Discord but not the newsbot!
    • Goodbye newsbot! You're a jerk!!

Hi guys, 

Just wanted to give everyone a bit of a heads up, there are some design changes that will be taking place on Dark Shard within the next few weeks. It's nothing major - and I'm pretty sure everyone will like how things are organized. 

Also, I wanted to conduct a poll on the Dark Shard News Bot. I think we are familiar enough with it now and can make an informed decision on whether we like it or not. Personally, I'm alright with disabling it as I don't think a ton of people use it. I could also be wrong, I'm just looking at how many times those topics are read. 

Also, the discord channel... do you guys like it/use it - or is it something we should get rid of? 

Thanks in advance for voting!

So, I see 3 votes to keep the newsbot, but almost every news post has 1 or 2 views on it... and I know that one of them is me.. Lol. 

Edit: I think I might have found a solution. I'll see if the newsbot can be a sign up dealy... and if you sign up, you will get PMs with the newsbot posts instead of it being in a section on its own. 😁

I wouldn't want PMs but my only issue with the newsbot is that it often just picks up Beasts of War posts. This would usually be fine and a lot of their stuff is great except I've noticed a number of these articles are sitting behind BoW's paywall...

Yeah. Definitely noted. I think I can fix this by getting rid of BoW completely. I'll switch the News to go to their specific section and allow commenting.

That is the point of a forum after all. 

As for design/layout elements, I'll be drawing upon what worked for the old forum and just reorganize the conversations. Right now we have a lot of unused sections... that should be trimmed and reorganized. We will be going back to the old system of Community Information where tournaments are pinned and featured. 

All in all, I think it'll be an improvement. 😁

I do like the news feed for when nobody has posted something I'm somewhat interested in.

i never touch discord... It's just another app I need to download onto my 6 or 7 year old phone. 

So, looking at the mixed results, this is what I'm going to do. 

It was brought to my attention that the point of a forum is to initiate conversation and participation of its users. 

What I'm going to do is adjust the newsbot to pick up information from specific sites and deposit it in their respective sections as comments. These comments will be unlocked and comment-able, so everyone can contribute to the conversation. 

We are going to be disabling Beasts of War. The clickable link is kinda useless for our purposes. I will be drawing info from Warhammer Community and hopefully Faeit, Datasphere and a couple of other infinity sites for the infinity section, and I'm going to need some suggestions for Privateer Press. 

If there are other sites to draw from - please let me know and I'll set them up if they have an RSS feed. 

So, for the time being I'm going to be disabling the newsbot - this is a temporary measure. It will be back, and it will be better than it was before. Right now it isn't functioning properly, and I need to do a little more research on RSS feeds. 

So, just to be clear, we will be aggregating news, but we will be doing it in a much better way than we were before when the feature returns. :D

I liked when I could look at the first page, and see if there were new posts in my favourite threads. It didn't show if there were or were not new posts for tournaments.

You still can for to the war games. The subforum is highlighted when there is a new post.

I condensed the community information block, because it was unnecessarily cluttered. This section here (community information) will be largely reserved for tournaments and announcements. Tournaments will be pinned and featured, as we used to do on the old site. You can bet, when this is highlighted, there is a post in there about a tournament. 

I again temporarily disabled the newsbots. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without spamming the community. 

If you have ideas, put them here. The wheels are still turning on my end. 

The community updates in war games are cluttered. It's like spam in my e-mail have to get past it to find the good stuff. Can it have its own tab separate from 40k? The only 2 threads I use are the 40k thread and the tournament thread. I don't like that extra clutter.

OH yeah, so much GW news spills forth that it very quickly  buries content written by people. 

Just an observation, not sure solution other than to give the newsfeed it's own thread again 

Honestly, the vote right now is 37.5% of the users want to keep the newsbots, and since day one - I've heard nothing but complaints about them.

OJ suggested it's own section and allow commenting, but looking at how often they are actually read... Lol..  most have anywhere between 0-5 views. I don't think any of them hit the double digits. 

Hmmmm... I wonder if that's because it's featured. I'm gonna pin it and take off the featured icon and see if that makes a difference. 

Huh. Nope. That's not it. I'll have to look at it a little more in depth - but thanks for the heads up. It might be embedded in the rules of that section in the admin panel. 

So, with that problem fixed, I'm going to look at what I can do with the newsbot. 

As you can see, I put a tab on the right hand side that shows you all of the latest posts for up to 12 topics. 

Now, I have had people tell me that they miss the newsbot. I'm going to try to make it as unobtrusive as possible. What I'm thinking of doing is putting it in its own section, and figuring out if I can make that section not show up on updates. I'm sure I can - it just needs a little work. If anyone else has ideas on what you'd like to see on the forum, let me know. I'm all ears. 

Now that I'm a user and not an admin, I can see that I do not have the ability to edit my own posts. Is that a feature that we can add? I use it a lot in our painting challenge, as I put the pledges in the initial post.