Sign in to follow this  
wolf9416

Southern Ontario Open 2017

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Robb1986 said:

Ok cool mat I am down for the trip as well 

23 hours ago, wolf9416 said:

I feel like JVM could win with any random Legion models thrown on the table... Of course regardless of the strength of the list, it will be popular now that he won a con with it :P

Also, I do have to say that I find filling this out more difficult when I am running on 99% theory machine. When I filled this out for my merc lists I had a fair amount of experience and games with them that made it easier to plan out matches. I'm still getting used to the 'new' Skorne in general, and trying to nail down the strengths and weaknesses of specific lists is harder than anticipated.

New skorne has no weaknesses lol

7 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Great article here if anybody wants to plan for the current state of the wider meta

http://www.courageofcaspia.com/

Interesting read, although I am surprised at some of the facton rankings... main one that stands out to me is that I feel like Ret is too low on the list, and should be up one or even two spots.

I do like those Skorne lists though, may need to try them out....

I agree with you Josh but I'm guessing that's heavily dependent on who's in your meta.  Maybe Scandinavia / Europe is just an elven dead zone.   I mean everybody in Northern Ontario knows that Kaelyssa can be dropped into anything by now.  Having a second list for Ret is just gravy.

In the last couple tournaments (Adepticon) Ret hasn't been in the top.  I think they have great infantry, and casters (even A list), but I think they lack a truly dominant caster/dominant models/great theme.  

Before you Ret haters start going in on me, I am not saying they are not at the top, I am saying they have a lack of truly amazing stuff that keeps them from pulling wins.  We don't have an amazing theme list, a questionably should be nerfed unit (If you know your going to face Sentinels they become much easier to remove, mine just got wiped by 15 elimination servitors) or a caster that is a force to be reckoned with to the point of almost shifting the meta.  

I still think Ret is super strong, I just don't think it has some of the dominating aspects that the tournament winning factions have right now. 

1 hour ago, Polipotent said:

Before you Ret haters start going in on me

OMG RET IS LIKE THE BEST FACTION EVER YOU ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE PLAYING THE FACTION *insert more ridiculous ranting here*

....I do agree with your assessment, but I think that still lands them in the 'A' tier, if not 'S'. 

Edited by wolf9416

3 hours ago, Polipotent said:

In the last couple tournaments (Adepticon) Ret hasn't been in the top.  I think they have great infantry, and casters (even A list), but I think they lack a truly dominant caster/dominant models/great theme.  

Before you Ret haters start going in on me, I am not saying they are not at the top, I am saying they have a lack of truly amazing stuff that keeps them from pulling wins.  We don't have an amazing theme list, a questionably should be nerfed unit (If you know your going to face Sentinels they become much easier to remove, mine just got wiped by 15 elimination servitors) or a caster that is a force to be reckoned with to the point of almost shifting the meta.  

I still think Ret is super strong, I just don't think it has some of the dominating aspects that the tournament winning factions have right now. 

How are those servitors hitting your DEF 15 and or Stealthed Sentinels?

Edit: Father Lucant I guess?

Edited by Xeurian

I would like to mention that if any of you would like to play against a specific Legion list please let me know in the weekly emails and I can bring it out. Will gladly help you all practice up.

47 minutes ago, Rhonlore said:

I would like to mention that if any of you would like to play against a specific Legion list please let me know in the weekly emails and I can bring it out. Will gladly help you all practice up.

I dunno... Are you sure you have enough Legion models for that?

31 minutes ago, Xeurian said:

I dunno... Are you sure you have enough Legion models for that?

Unless it requires 4+ of any one warbeast... Probably.

I had a game with Issyria into Iron Mother.  The good points, I neutered the TeP and Prime Axiom with blinding light, bad points the servitors tore up my 2 units of infantry.  Your right with kaelyssa I could have protected my force from the servitors for at least a turn/a unit for multiple but the TeP would have ran wild.  

It means if your Issyria list is meant to handle CoC then it needs a unit of stealthed medium range shooters to hunt servitors.  If only Ret had such a unit ...

2 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

It means if your Issyria list is meant to handle CoC then it needs a unit of stealthed medium range shooters to hunt servitors.  If only Ret had such a unit ...

I've been looking at min units lately and I think min strikeforce have a place. I just wish they had AD natively. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Xeurian said:

I've been looking at min units lately and I think min strikeforce have a place. I just wish they had AD natively. 

100% true. 

So another SOO has come and gone.  Good times had by all as its always an amazing weekend of gaming goodness.  

Our results from the masters tournament on Saturday, out of 119 participants were:

25th place: Josh Lavigne at 3-1 (So Skorne is actually pretty good ... who knew?)

36th place: David Dussiaume at 2-2 (my first opponent ended up coming second over all so my strength of schedule was awesome)

45th place: Mat Dussiaume at 2-2

96th place: Rob Emerson at 0-4

Hoping NBD can post results for the North Bay crew.

Also neat to note is that the top 8 placed players all played different factions resulting in one of the most even spreads I've ever seen at a tournament.  While this one is behind us its time to chill out with a few months of chill games and start looking forward to SOO 2018.

For all of you Guild ball players you should really consider joining us next time as there was a sizable guild ball presence at this event and they ran 1 or two GB tournaments as well.  I know the NB crowd partook in open play and had a blast.

17 minutes ago, StreetPizza said:

25th place: Josh Lavigne at 3-1 (So Josh is actually pretty good ... who knew?)

Fixed that for you ;)

Had a great time, and actually got a decent amount of sleep this year which is different than previous years xD Looking forward to the next one!

• Upvote 1

For the weekend Nathan placed 5th in the Iron Gauntlet tournament against some pretty heavy hitters.  His only loss that day was against JVM who is probably in the top 3 American tournament players. 

I dropped after 3 rounds in the IG (lost every game) so I could play in an Iron Kingdom Module. 

In masters I don't think any NB folks made it.  Nathan got hurt by someone pushing him and was pretty pissed off so he dropped.  Quinn and I did pretty abysmal so we dropped after the 3rd round to eat since I hadn't had a chance since 8 that morning.  I did have a lot of fun games though even if I lost most of them. 

For the guild ball guys the tournament at the SOO is currently the biggest one in NA.  The pundits were super friendly and one of them sat with Quinn and I and taught us the game, we went on to play 5 casual games and it was a blast.  Steamforge themselves was also in attendance. 

Sucks about his masters experience but hitting 5th in IG is a really impressive feat.  That was out of 60 some participants right?

Also for anybody who's curious we played the following factions and casters:

Dave D.: Cygnar - Stryker 1, Stryker 2, Sloan

Mat D.: Retribution - Kaelyssa, Vyros 1, Elara

Josh L.: Skorne - Makeda 1, Makeda 2, Hexeris 1

Rob E.: Cryx - Skarre 1(maybe 2?), Venethrax, Mortenebra 1

North Bay Dave: Retribution - Hylena, Rahn, Issyria

Quinn: Trolls - Ragnor, Gunnbjorn, Madrak2

Nathan: Convergence - Mother, Father, Aurora

Edited by StreetPizza