Sign in to follow this  
wolf9416

Southern Ontario Open 2017

Hello!

With the OTC having wrapped up, we are starting to look towards the next big event. That is the Southern Ontario Open, taking place in Hamilton on May 5th - 7th. Details and registration can be found here:

http://www.wmh-soo.com/

Post below if you are planning on coming or thinking about it. Once we have a general idea we can plan out rides and rooms for everyone attending to make sure that everyone makes it there and has a place to sleep!

Right now I'm pretty sure the following Sudbury people are going, but I'm not sure who is on the list for North Bay or who else is planning on attending:

• Josh
  • Dave D
  • Mat
  • Robbie
  • Chantal (Maybe)
Edited by wolf9416

So we're about 6 to 7 weeks out from this event.  I know I for one needed a break from theory machine after our run up to the OTC but the thought juices are starting to flow again.  Now that I've been looking at it I'm concerned that this just isn't enough time to actually put together a 3 list group with any kind of confidence.

To help myself through the process I've once again turned to Google docs and started a spread sheet.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13re6ss3nCep7NwuC2AerI3i9RU4qJ86-IxDGInrJgog/edit?usp=sharing

Given that I'm not locked into any one faction I'm looking to bring the lists that I think will give me the best shot at this.  That also means that there's a lot more information to sift through and its slow going.  I should have this process completed by the end of the week though and settled into a final faction selection which will then allow me to sift through the available lists for testing.  The testing phase will let me settle into the final 3 to bring to the event.

I'll keep commenting here on how the process is going for me and what factors I'm using to narrow this all down.  Hopefully you guys find this stuff as interesting as I do and feel free to chime in with comments or questions as I go.

Step 1 in this process is to determine who the bogeymen of the tournament are going to be and making sure that the faction selected has the answers required to face those matchups.   For this step I'm drawing on the OTC experience to indicate what lists/factions were most prominent in southern ontario.  So far I've come up with the following which MUST be accounted for:

• Haley2/3
  • Sloan
  • Karchev / Harkevich jack spam
  • Kahdor rocket spam
  • Kaelyssa
  • Cryx ... uh actually nvm
  • Amon jack spam
  • Ossrum
  • Thexus
  • Wurmwood
  • Baldur2
  • Lylyth3
  • Xerxis2
  • Hexy2
  • Rask

The most common factions I saw were (note there are actually stats on this somewhere but I can't be arsed to look them up):

• Cygnar
  • Kahdor
  • Protectorate
  • Circle

That's a pretty wide field but its these cells in my sheet that will be given the heaviest weight.  

I'll follow up with the results of analysis after I'm done populating the sheet, so stay tuned.

Edited by StreetPizza

I think if someone commits to the ghost fleet theme Cryx could be a problem for the unprepared. But thats a big if.

I spoke to the guy who played it at the OTC and he said it was a big mistake.  The list just didn't perform for him at all against the big stuff from other factions.

That being said maybe its just him.

Did we want to book two or three rooms now if there are some available just to have them locked in? Wouldn't want to end up in a different hotel.

11 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Two seemed to work for us last time as long as you and chantal are ok having somebody in your room again.

Not 100% sure if Chantal will be coming out this time, but we can figure it out either way so two rooms should be good for the Sudbury crew.

So I've finished filling in the sheet for Cygnar and Protectorate.  

While its heavily based on theory and not actual game experience my best list groupings from the casters I'm interested in look like this:

Sloan / Stryker2 (Storm division theme  / ? (Probably Stryker1 Heavy Metal)

Amon (Creator's Might) / Kreoss3 / Sevy2

The reason the question mark is there is that Sloan and Stryker cover each other's match ups so well I could actually do this on just them alone.  The one problem is that with my intended sloan build I don't have a shooting option vs electrically immunity lists.  As such I'm going to have to work on a solution and I'm starting to think that its Stryker 1 double colossal (my hurricane better arrive on time in April).

For the Protectorate grouping I really like my lists although I see some pretty big issues.  Unlike the Cygnar group I feel like there is very little there to force my opponents hand at list selection so I'll always have to be guessing what he's going to drop.  In addition to that problem I see bad match ups into Ret, Mercs, Legion and Skorne where the best I can hope for is that my opponent doesn't pick the right list or they don't have the groupings I'm worried about.  I could just be worried for no reason though since, as previously stated, the match ups are based on theory.

All of the analysis says I should play Cygnar though and that's probably how its going to shake out.  A couple weeks of testing Protectorate is required first though.  Also need to put a crusader kit, choir and extra vassal mechanic on order just in case :CoolDance:

Edited by StreetPizza

Did anyone get a confirmation email when they purchased their tickets? I can't remember if I have purchased mine or not yet...

Two rooms booked.  We've got the 4th, 5th and 6th so we'll be travelling on Thursday to allow for a full day of gaming on Friday.  Won't need to book thursday off though as we can leave as late as we want since there's nothing going on that day.

Purchased my ticket online, but I didn't see an option to register for specifc events (like the masters) as I did for previous years. Did I miss that somewhere?

1 hour ago, StreetPizza said:

Apparently you just show up with your lists the morning of.

Guess since they have not yet had a full event they aren't worried about people registering in advance.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:34 PM, StreetPizza said:

So we're about 6 to 7 weeks out from this event.  I know I for one needed a break from theory machine after our run up to the OTC but the thought juices are starting to flow again.  Now that I've been looking at it I'm concerned that this just isn't enough time to actually put together a 3 list group with any kind of confidence.

To help myself through the process I've once again turned to Google docs and started a spread sheet.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13re6ss3nCep7NwuC2AerI3i9RU4qJ86-IxDGInrJgog/edit?usp=sharing

I think I may do this as well, as it is an interesting process and I need the help in trying to decide which Skorne lists I want to bring.

What do the X's represent on the sheet?

13 hours ago, wolf9416 said:

I think I may do this as well, as it is an interesting process and I need the help in trying to decide which Skorne lists I want to bring.

What do the X's represent on the sheet?

The X's are the most common of the big guns according to our experience at the OTC.  If you don't have an answer for them you should be marking yourself as Red for that faction even if everything else is green.

Thanks Tyrone I'll add it in.  Also need to account for Oracles now that JVM just took Adepticon with it.  But hey at least that means I might not see Lylyth3 :Bored: ... I hate legion.

6 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Also need to account for Oracles now that JVM just took Adepticon with it.

I feel like JVM could win with any random Legion models thrown on the table... Of course regardless of the strength of the list, it will be popular now that he won a con with it :P

Also, I do have to say that I find filling this out more difficult when I am running on 99% theory machine. When I filled this out for my merc lists I had a fair amount of experience and games with them that made it easier to plan out matches. I'm still getting used to the 'new' Skorne in general, and trying to nail down the strengths and weaknesses of specific lists is harder than anticipated.

Edited by wolf9416