Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

Tyranid Hopes for 8th Edition - Nidvember 11th

Hey folks! Rumours have it that the Nid codex will be out on November 11th, which would mean they'll be legal for the BPO! W00t w00t! What are you hoping to see in our codex?

Here's my current wish-list:

#1 - Tougher Tyrants; Outside the Swarmlord, you aren't seeing a lot of Tyrants in the field. The Broodlord, by manner of being a character under 10 wounds, does nearly everything you need the Tyrant for, for less points. I don't want to see Tyrants get special rules making them get the character bonuses despite being more than 9 wounds, but rather I'd like to see them receive one of two things. If you're a Walker-Tyrant, you should get a 2+ save. If you're a Flyrant, you should get Hard-to-Hit if you go supersonic, so enemies are at -1 to hit you.

#2 - Anti-Vehicle Carnifex; Maybe it's because I'm so used to Carnifexes taking up this role back in the Tyranid's heyday, but right now the bugs have a really big problem facing down vehicles. Carnifexes, meanwhile, don't have a lot of attacks, and Monstrous Scything Talons at Strength 6 don't cut it. This bad boy needs to go up to S8 so that those Monstrous Talons can do some work! Would be nice if Living Battering Ram also did D3 mortal wounds instead of just 1 (assuming it even goes off), but that's purely wishful thinking.

#3 - Venomthrope works with everything (not just Infantry); This one feels weird to me. I can attest that the Venomthrope really does work, despite its massive expense. -1 to hit is an incredibly strong defensive buff, so it's weird to me that whole armies get this for free. Venomthropes, paying through the nose, should be working for everyone near it, not just your guants and Hive Guard. Either that, or they need to cost a bit less, but I don't like just reducing the points costs of things.

#4 - Make Warp Blast a Weapon Attack; Zoanthropes have always ridden the line between what is and what isn't a psychic power. They are primarily a weapon-battery. They could shoot psionic lances that cut tanks in half. When they first appeared though, it was just a gun. You couldn't Perils on it, but it was saveable. 3rd Ed Codex gave it the "lance" upgrade, which did require a psychic test. Personally, I think this was the best way to represent them. They can shoot regular Warp Blasts (S5 AP3 Blast), or can use a psychic power to "amp up". In new 40k terms, this should be a shooting attack (not Smite) that is S5, AP-3, D3 shots per model, and D3 damage per wound, with a Zoanthrope-only psychic power that blesses the Zoanthrope unit, upgrading its shot to S9, AP-4, 1 shot, dealing D6 damage per wound. Let them cast 2 powers so they can also follow that up with Smite or something else, and you're golden.

#5 - Point & Power Drop for Tervigon; Despite impressing me during the 500 pt matches during the league, the Tervigon gets worse as the game gets bigger, as the chances to kill it before it does anything are very poor. It seems to be paying points for the Gaunts, but forgets that you have to pay the points anyways for them (unless you're rejuvenating a squad). This just needs to cost 60 points less. Either that, or it's got to be able to spawn new units. Or, if it rejuvenates a squad, it shouldn't be limited by the squad cap and should return them with whatever weapons they were armed with.

#6 - A Big, Big Bug; Everyone else seems to get Knight-sized stuff, so let's see that for the Tyranids. It'll never happen outside Forge World, but I can dream.

#7 - Useful Faction Benefits; Everyone seems to get a certain standard smattering, but I hope the flavouring on these are really cool for Tyranids. There's always a "tougher to kill" one (Ravenguard/Alpha Legion/Stigma VII/Valhallan/etc.), so for Tyranids I hope it's something like "whenever a non-Monster Hive Fleet Kraken model dies, roll a d6. On a 6+, return a model to the unit that's a copy of the one that died." That'd be cool because it'd make gaunts and such tougher, while also giving them some movement shenanigans (as you kill them, they get closer!).

What are your hopes?
Edited by Yarium

5 minutes ago, Yarium said:

Why is it that when I copy and past something, it massively screws with the formatting?

I have the forum set to copy formatting from the copied text/document/webpage. Since all of that is nested into the ctrl+c command.

I can disable it if its giving people the gears.

If it bothers you A LOT and don't want to wait for lazy admins, you can paste into notepad than back into the window to strip formatting.

I believe there is a strip formatting button as well in the WYSIWYG editor.

Yep - youre right. A little note pops up at the bottom of the post informing you that you've pasted formatted text, and if you would want to unformat it, click the message.

Screenshot_20171018-155802.thumb.png.cb90631243dbfc07c62a979043c8a4e1.png