Durek

Chess/Death Clocks

I am hoping a few WarmaHorde tournament players can help with something.
I know WMH used to use Chess clocks when I played in tourneys to help keep players on task and in the game as well as on schedule.
We are thinking of doing the same with some Malifaux and Batman events as we have a couple players who suffer from analysis paralysis.

Can someone recommend good clocks or analogue vs digital? Ive seen some on chess stores and amazon but figured i would ask people whove used them before.

Thanks

Edited by Durek

We still use chess clocks, Deathclock is now the standard timing method for tournament pay.  

Honeslty the cheapest digital ones you can get on amazon are usually the best option.  Digital will make your life easier. 

45 minutes ago, dreadpirate said:

Really want 40k to adopt the deathclock, such a good idea.

100% the best idea you have ever had. That would stop a lot of the issues in tournaments. I am a quick player, lots of the time my opponent takes up 2/3 of the time, which is fine in most cases. When it is not is when I play a total of 50 minutes and my opponent plays 1 .75 hours and we only get to turn 4.

thank everyone.

As for them in 40k in my younger days we tried this method a few times to see if it would work.
It works very well in skirmish type games but in bigger games like 40k and WFB they tend to punish certain armies; mostly Horde.

Back when WFB was 2,000 and 40K was 1,500 points Skaven, Orcs & Gobbos; Tyranids, Imperial Guard and Orks were penalised while elite low count armies thrived in the deathclock events like Death/Raven-wing and the like.
Some food for thought for bigger model count games.

I'm genuinely curious about the 40k aspect of this. We can stick in this thread or move over (Durek's call)

1) If the full round for a tournament is 150 minutes (2.5 hours) then how long is each player's death clock?

2) In instances of player interruption like Overwatch or Close Combat, who's clock is running? What about when I have to roll two armour saves?

I believe these are the ones that we use: 

http://www.regencychess.ca/chess-clocks/dgt-10167-easy-chess-clock-crimson-cruz

Not sure if that's the same website Dave got them from or not.

@MisterAG

1) If it were Warmachine it would be 75 minutes each in that case. This would include deployment, but you can unpack models off the clock between rounds and have them on the table outside of the deployment zone.

2) In Warmachine, the official rule is, basically, that if someone needs to resolve a roll it's done on their clock. Personally, if the opponent is just rolling quick tough checks (5+ save) I will keep it on my clock. If someone is making a free strike (Opportunity Attack) where they need a few seconds to look at/calculate their odds of hitting and then rolling damage and seeing how much damage they do ect... I'll flip it. So I would say in terms of 40k I would definitely swap it to the roller while they are rolling their Overwatch shots or making their CC attack/wound rolls.

Edited by Xeurian

Yikes. I can't imagine rationalizing the cash outlay to pick up 10 - 20 of these clocks.

I'm interested in trying a game on the clock. Even as Guard I always get the feeling that the other player is going slow - even though rationally I know it is me and my 100 infantry that is slowing the game down!

43 minutes ago, MisterAG said:

I'm genuinely curious about the 40k aspect of this. We can stick in this thread or move over (Durek's call)

1) If the full round for a tournament is 150 minutes (2.5 hours) then how long is each player's death clock?

2) In instances of player interruption like Overwatch or Close Combat, who's clock is running? What about when I have to roll two armour saves?

for 2) specifically.

"declare charge (still on charging players clock) - Than he hits his clock and flips it back to the over watcher*

"overwatcher rolls his hits/wounds - flips it back"

"charger takes his saves, completes charges, and continues to declare chargers following the back and forth"

So a couple comments on the clocks.  I partially financed the WM ones by reserving 10 to 20$ from each tournament and putting it towards the price of the clocks.  I paid off half of them that way and just paid the other half myself.

Presently we have 3 clocks for our tournaments with Dave from NorthBay usually supplying more when needed and together we do fine for our WM events.  

We have two digital versions that Mat posted and one analog one like this:

https://thechessstore.com/diamond-quartz-chess-clock-black/

Digital clocks don't have to be expensive though:

https://www.chesshouse.com/collections/dgt-chess-clocks/products/dgt-1001-chess-clock

I haven't received complaints about either type but the digital is definitely better as the audible beeps as it counts down at the end are very useful.

If you want Jer, you're welcome to use the digital clocks as we store them at the Nook in the WM terrain box (or maybe only one of them can't remember) just put them back when you're done.  If you need the analogue one then just let me know ahead of time and I'd be happy to drop it off at the store for you.

For all of you 40k players just make it a condition that everybody understands that for the next 3 tournaments you're upping the entry fee by an extra $5 to finance clock purchases.  Make everybody aware of how many clocks the "community" has and make them available for anybody's event and there shouldn't be a problem.

Clocks are 100% an event saver and i can't recommend them enough.  

also ... batman is still happening?

Edited by StreetPizza

I'm not a tournament player, but I do have clocks to keep my home games on track

these cost me $1.25 each at the dollar tree in the valley

i also cannot justify the purchase of chess clocks ... Expensive and not cheap to replace when they eventually break (I wouldn't expect that te analog designs are meant to travel that much)

but who am I but a filthy casual lol 

image.jpeg

Malifaux might be better with a round timer, as the decisions to cheat/not cheat is a lot like playing a game of Magic with its back and forth. You will be flipping the clocks on the regular to even keep a semblance of the actual time spent per player.

3 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

So a couple comments on the clocks.  I partially financed the WM ones by reserving 10 to 20$ from each tournament and putting it towards the price of the clocks.  I paid off half of them that way and just paid the other half myself.

Presently we have 3 clocks for our tournaments with Dave from NorthBay usually supplying more when needed and together we do fine for our WM events.  

We have two digital versions that Mat posted and one analog one like this:

https://thechessstore.com/diamond-quartz-chess-clock-black/

Digital clocks don't have to be expensive though:

https://www.chesshouse.com/collections/dgt-chess-clocks/products/dgt-1001-chess-clock

I haven't received complaints about either type but the digital is definitely better as the audible beeps as it counts down at the end are very useful.

If you want Jer, you're welcome to use the digital clocks as we store them at the Nook in the WM terrain box (or maybe only one of them can't remember) just put them back when you're done.  If you need the analogue one then just let me know ahead of time and I'd be happy to drop it off at the store for you.

For all of you 40k players just make it a condition that everybody understands that for the next 3 tournaments you're upping the entry fee by an extra $5 to finance clock purchases.  Make everybody aware of how many clocks the "community" has and make them available for anybody's event and there shouldn't be a problem.

Clocks are 100% an event saver and i can't recommend them enough.  

also ... batman is still happening?

Thanks for the offer but I probably will just buy one myself :) 
Just wanted people's thoughts on them.

Yes Batman is still happening just with a select few people. 2nd edition seems much better

2 hours ago, Rhonlore said:

Malifaux might be better with a round timer, as the decisions to cheat/not cheat is a lot like playing a game of Magic with its back and forth. You will be flipping the clocks on the regular to even keep a semblance of the actual time spent per player.

We will be trailing this both ways. Either way tourneys will still be timed games as per the usual, just was thinking thid may help a couple players with time management.

Thank you all for your comments.