hey everyone. 

I've been watching a lot of D&D type videos for tips and advice, background information or things of the sort. One such video series the host always asks her guests what their House Rules are. I know I'm not the only roleplayer in the community... but for some reason we tend to be a quiet lot here in sudbury and the rest of the northern ontario area. 

What's your house rule?'

I know I have one in ideal, but I seldom enforce it because they've become such digital swiss army knives... cell phones.  Much of the players I play with have apps for spells and other information. despite this, I'd still rather see them away from the table. they can be a visual distraction for some, though not for all.

I stand by one rule more often, which is: "please please leave the Cheese on your sandwich, not in your character development". In my experiences I find that a player can get caught up in the gimmick instead of the game. I remember when I started making cheese characters, I made this one for a one shot game, a Saurial (dinosaur person, pterodactyl type creature) who just just annoying as all fuck. it was the only time where a GM actively killed my character. granted, it was warranted... my gimmick may have been a laugh for myself, a chuckle for other PCs.... it might have been annoying the GM. I ruined someone's fun by immersing myself in my own. Not all gimmicks are directly annoying... sometimes it's a way a character dresses that is intended to garner a reaction. The problem with this is, I often forget that I'm suppose to remember this quirk, and the player just feels a little cheated or bypassed when it's not reacted upon. When I've come to a compromise that mitigates the cheese factor, everyone still has as much fun as they would have regardless....which brings me to the next house rule....

I'm not going to say No, I'm going to compromise: When ever I don't like something- an action, choice, request... I never flat out say no. Unless character creation rules dictate specific things (class, race, alignment or feat allowances, which I thematically attach when we develop the type of game we are playing.)
but, as a rule, I don't say no...I try to make it happen. I feel these games are collaborative and evolve best without roadblocks. 

So how about you? do you have specific house rules in your game?

- Gary -

My house rule is no whining. It may sound like a basic one but I had one player who won't be named that came up with this huge awesome elaborate backstory for his character and this family hammer he had. So naturally i'm building a small side quest in my head as we're going over characters etc..

So on to the story, we're playing through and they're getting off track as normal players do. They're doing some excellent questing that i've developed for them but they start straying into a zone I have earmarked as "high level". So im trying to dissuade them from going into the tunnels but this one player is adamant that they're going, even the old "a voice whispers don't fucking go in" but sure enough ,he ignores it and wants to go in. I take this chance to fuck with the characters heirloom that he holds so dearly and develop an entirely new story arc on the fly. The idea was to take the hammer from him, make them jump through some hoops, establish relations with the race that lives in the tunnels and they would be presented with the hammer as a show of good faith. I don't tell the players this of course, you want it to unfold naturally over the course of the game. This player would not stop whining constantly about this, to the point where I told him to drop it ooc and that he should let the game play out. Of course - more whining, belly aching, to the point where my other players were clearly not having any fun (and neither was I) and basically said the games over, i'm done dming for you guys, good luck. Haven't DM'd since.

House rules for me when I am DMing.

All critical Hits have a table that is rolled on that all characters develop at the beginning of the campaign.

Depending on how creative the players are, this could be as small as a d10 roll, or a d100 roll

Examples are 

1 - You gash them in the chest, cleaving their breastplate off.

2 - You cut off one of their fingers

10 - You poke the guys eye out

100 - You behead your opponent, rendering them DEAD!

Its a fun random generation of Critical effects.

@dreadpirate well that's unfortunate that your experience sucked gaping assholes. Finding the right group makes all the difference. But I wonder... Could you have just booted the complainer?

i've had my fair share of shitty situations. 

@Dasjuice fuck yeah, I love random tables.,, you have it in a digital format? Would you care to share it?

My group has one:

Any critical failures of ranged attacks against a target partially obstructed by allies, results in the ranged attack hitting one of the allies in the LoF.

When I DM, which hasn't been for a VERY long time, the house rule that I never told anyone about was "the rules don't matter".  If I thought that breaking a rule, fudging some dice, whatever, would make for a more enjoyable time I'd do it.

Typically with the players, the more creative and narrative their actions the more likely they were to succeed.  A player whos character was tied up could ask "Are there any rocks around?" and I may say nope and that is it.  If they said "I look around for a rock with a sharp edge to cut away the ropes" then I'm more apt to say that they've found one.

14 hours ago, Deademperor said:

@Dasjuice fuck yeah, I love random tables.,, you have it in a digital format? Would you care to share it?

@Deademperor I don't have any that I have kept as I normally have my players create it at the beginning of a campaign.  But here is one that seems pretty cool from a search.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/vinifera/critical_hit_table_2e.pdf 

@Xeurian : I do the same LoS and granger weapons, though more when I feel like it than a hard fast rule. :) I think it adds to the risk vs reward... Since ranged weapons have less risk and high reward now in 5th Ed D&D

@Sam: that's very much the sentiment of 5th Ed d&d, which I really enjoy about the game. When I played 3rd edition I was very much more of a stickler for te rules. I've relaxed much in the Sam way as you in my old age lol

@Dasjuice: oh yeah, thanks for the chart. I was kind of more interested in seeing specifically what you have done as opposed to just getting a resource. :)

@Taylor: so everyone is enjoying traveler enough for you to put in the work to make it a fantasy game? How's the progress coming along?

1 hour ago, Deademperor said:

@Taylor: so everyone is enjoying traveler enough for you to put in the work to make it a fantasy game? How's the progress coming along?

I did 160 pages of rewriting and I'm currently laying it out in book format for Friday, where we are doing character creation. 

Don't know how you manage man, took me the better part of a year to make my RPG... That did entail some preliminary play tests and re writing... But still... It's only 60 pages lol

7 hours ago, Taylor said:

This was about 2 weeks.. hah hah

show off

.... :P

lol I fucking wish... but your single minded dedication to tasks is a rare gift.....often i get distracted.as you can see by this post while i clean my sculpting space

To be fair, I'm not making it - I'm adapting it. There is a big difference - I'm not doing Playtesting or writing the rules from scratch. I'm taking the original traveller rules and adapting them to a fantasy setting,  and making new rules to take the place of a lot of the original space-faring stuff. Now instead of owning shares in a space ship, you can own shares in a homestead/keep/guild safe house or own horses, portions of a merchant company, etc. It probably wouldn't make a lot of sense if you're not familiar with the original traveller rules, to be honest. It seems like a lot, but ultimately,  I'd be surprised if I've put more than 70 hours worth of work into it.