Sam

How Long Do Your Brushes Last?

So I've painted on and off for many years now, always using second hand brushes.  Not toooo long ago I bought some since I started to do more detail work and now I'm noticing that the brushes aren't quite that good any more.  I'm sure I don't take care of them that well, but for you painters out there, how long does a brush normally last you?

• Like 1

Lol. A month. 😐

There is a little art shop on long lake road that sells the white taklon ones I like. They're about $5 each. 

That makes me feel better.  Granted I don't paint nearly as much as you, but I've had mine maybe 6 months now and the detail ones are at the point where I think I need to replace them.  They are getting a little too handsy on parts of the model near what I want them to focus on ;)

I don't mind so much if my large brush for basecoats is a little frayed, as it's just a base coat, but the detail brushes should definitely be better.

It's funny, though... I have a brush specifically "designed" for washes.  Before that I had a brush that wasn't "designed" for it, but it was the one I'd use exclusively for washes and it got destroyed.  This one is near perfect still.  I wouldn't have guessed that it would last so well given how the old one fared.

depends what they are made out of and how rough you use them, the quality and style of brush (synthetic vs hair, long or short bristles).
My wife much prefers short bristle Koliski sable hair brushes. She takes very good care of them and gets about 30 to 50 models per set of brushes (she uses size #1 & 2).
I prefer longer bristle synthetics, they are cheaper and longer lasting for the treatment i put them through. I've painted aprox the value of 75 GW trooper minis with mine before they were frayed? I mostly use size 1 and 0
Old frayed brushes are great for washes (if they arent too bad) then dry brush then basing :)

Edited by Durek

There are a couple factors that contribute to brush life.

I have brushes that I still use that I purchased over 20 years ago, and there have been some brushes that I have purchased that did not even last me one evening of painting.

The first factor contributing to this, is the material used in the brush.

Typically for Acrylic paints the brush is made of either nylon, synthetic sable and sable. Nylon is the cheapest material and the brush cost will directly reflect this. Along with the lifespan of your brush.  Sable is the most expensive, but it cleans nicely and holds its tip for much longer, even when you get paint right up next to the ferrule (the part that holds the bristles and attaches it to the handle). In my opinion, you get what you pay for.  I have paid upwards to $25 - $30 dollars for a brush.  I still have those brushed today!

On to the second factor and that is the care.  Simply rinsing brushes out is not a full cleaning of a brush. There is actually much more involvement in taking care of your investment (if you went with the more expensive brushes).  Here is a video that does a good job of demonstrating and explaining.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I'm terrible for taking care of my brushes, that's for sure.  The ones I use are the citadel brushes.  They seem nice.  I'd say that I've gotten about 30 models out of them and now the small ones are getting risky to paint with.  I don't take care of them but I also don't paint as well as Kerri so my 30 is definitely not the same as hers :D

I guess I'll be buying a couple more brushes this week :)