Sign in to follow this  
Taylor

Grimdark vs. Newhammer

Hey guys,

I watched a video the other day lamenting the new 40k designs saying they are moving away from grimdark and moving towards the new AOS style. Do you agree, and do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? 

Personally, I think that the Paint job is more indicative of the grimdark element than the model design, but there is definitely a new look to the models released. 

I think its hard to say at this point...its still pretty Grimdark....with the Imperium being half destroyed and all.

But now its actually some "hope" which I think is always good in a franchise.

This story is still very new and there is lots to come out still.

Honestly, I can't see the models being a reflection of grimdark because it's Nurgle. There's always a depraved jollity to Nurgle, who truly believes that it's doing good spreading disease and entropy handing out plagues and maladies like its genuine gift, because to it, it is a gift. So that some of these Nurglings are going to look a little goofy, it makes sense because Nurgle does actually have fun with it. The Poxwalkers are all smiling because of the Walking Pox which forces their facial muscles into a rictus grin, which is why they appear so happy. It all fits the theme.

But I think the focus on the jolly little Nurglings and the smiling Poxwalkers is missing the background details in the Nurgle models, like the tentacles bursting forth, the disembowelled bodies, the hideous mutations, the stomachs that have literally transformed into fanged maws. I think we're desensitized to what's really messed up, and that these new elements are throwing us for a loop. Has anyone shown these elements to an outside party to get their opinion on how dark these models are?

• Like 1

As far back as I can recall in 40k (5th Ed) nurgle has always been thematically jolly. Look at the fluff for beasts of nurgle... Which act like happy puppy dogs, as they unintentionally rend the human form with its attacks or disease. 

The poxwalkers are creepy and very well done. 

Nurglings irritate the fuck out of me... Their level of creep factor is outweighed by the cute/silly/stupid antics 

But if you were to stip nurgle stuff from the setting... Where does the game stand?

i think without the contrast, grim dark starts to lose the intensity, power and relative meaning. Tau was a good break to this. 

Mother than nurgle stuff, everything else has been designed to standard. The loss of slaanesh being thematically designed feels a tad watered down....but it is what it is. 

Very cool!

i was kinda surprised to see that things haven't changed much since 1989

truth be told, I thought this was evidence of a darker time, when men were men and monsters were monsters  and there was no room for this alternative horror. 

Dont get me wrong... Pudgy pigmy Acrobatic clown deamons (nurglings) still piss me off lol, but I love this nurturing papa nurgle take