Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

40k League Lists

Yarium    21

Hey folks!

I don't know about you, but I always like playing in the Escalation Leagues this town hosts. Starting small and working your way up is a great way to try new armies before deciding whether or not to jump right in, new strategies, and just have a blast. To that end, like last time, I am going to commit to trying to achieve the Challenge each and every round! On top of that, I'm going to share my lists to everyone, and I'll try to let you know how it goes. So here's my first list for the 500 points!

Chaos Space Marines - 499 pts - 3 Command Points
Patrol Detachment (min 1 HQ, 1 Troop) +0 Command Points - Chaos (Emperor's Children, Death Guard, Chaos Daemons)

• HQ
    1 Chaos Lord — Mark of Slaanesh, Bolt Pistol, The Murder Sword, Warlord Trait (depends on matchup, but probably +1 wound)
    1 Herald of Nurgle — Plaguesword, Psychic Powers (1 cast, 1 deny: Smite, Fleshy Abundance or Virulent Blessing depending on matchup)

• TROOPS
    5 Chaos Space Marines — Mark of Slaanesh, Boltguns, Heavy Bolter, Champion w/Boltgun
    5 Noise Marines — Mark of Slaanesh, Sonic Blasters, Blastmaster, Champion w/Sonic Blaster

• FAST ATTACK
    1 Foetid Bloat Drone — Nurgle Daemon, Plague Probe, Plaguespitters

This list is trying to take advantage of the cheap Chaos Lord providing re-rolls, and +1 S to the Foetid Bloat Drone from a nearby Herald of Nurgle. My opponent's list will determine if it makes more sense to try and heal up the Bloat Drone every turn using Fleshy Abundance (if their lists are more small arms fire heavy and S/T 3), or Virulent Blessing if their army is more Lascannon-heavy and S/T 4. This serious threat should also help distract enemy forces from my Noise Marines (becoming troops due to being Emperor's Children) and CSM squad, who should be able to dish out some good shots from beyond 24" range.

What are your lists looking like?

Yarium    21

Had my league match last night against Andrew's Necrons last night at the Nook. My list is in the post above, but here was his list from what I can remember:

Necrons - 500 pts - 3 Command Points
Patrol Detachment (min 1 HQ, 1 Troop) +0 Command Points - Necrons

• HQ
    1 Cryptek — Staff of Light, Warlord Trait (6+ Feel No Pain)

• TROOPS
    11 Necron Warriors — Gauss Flayers
    7 Necron Immortals — Gauss Blasters

• FAST ATTACK
    4 Canoptek Scarabs — Feeder Mandibles
    4 Canoptek Scarabs — Feeder Mandibles

I went with +1W and 6+ Feel No Pain for my Warlord Trait, and went with Fleshy Abundance for my psychic power. I figured the extra toughness for my warlord might be important if he got swarmed by... well... the scarab swarms, and since my opponent didn't have any weapons that dealt multiple damage, I figured that if I could goad him into attacking the Bloat Drone, I might be able to heal it up nearly as fast as he could knock it down, which should benefit me.

The match was long, difficult, and straining for both forces. I kept dancing around a central tower, grabbing objectives as needed. My opponent kept away from the objectives, as he was hoping to maximize his Cryptek bonuses. Twice I nearly killed the Warrior squad, bringing it down to 2 or 3 models, remaining, but that's when Necrons are at their best, and he would reanimate a good portion of the squad! My opponent actually got really unlucky with his opening volleys and most of his reanimation rolls, so the first two turns could've been a lot rougher than they otherwise were. Thankfully, my opponent also made the mistake of going after the Bloat-Drone with his forces, which lived up to its special rule and was DISGUSTINGLY resilient yet again! I never even had to cast Fleshy Abundance on it all game! Probably should've gone for Virulent Blessing for extra to-wound chances, but Smite is always a fine power to roll as well. Killed 2 Immortals with it during the game, and they never got back up (even with a 4+ Reanimation).

At the bottom of Turn 5, with only my Bloat Drone, Lord, and Herald remaining, my opponent started to spread out to try and grab some late-game objectives (else he was losing to me on points). He left an opening from my Bloat Drone, which flew over his forces and landed behind him. I got just barely enough wounds through his 5+ save, and then we remembered he had his 6+ Feel No Pain trait. Thankfully (for me), he failed all his rolls, and down the Cryptek went. Without the HQ around, very few Warriors got back up, and I cleanup up that squad on turn 6. The game ended, and I had some 8 points (I think 6 plus First Blood and Slay the Warlord) to his 2 points, and victory went to the forces of Chaos!

After the battle I asked my opponent why he didn't spend any Command Points on rerolls or such. He hadn't realized that just being Battle Forged gave you 3 command points. We laughed, and both felt bad that he had effectively played with a missing resource, but we noted that his list was entirely based on volume of fire, and there were few times, if any, that rerolls would've played a large part in the game. It definitely COULD have changed things (especially with that turn 5 Slay the Warlord, getting a reroll for a second chance at a 5+ is better than no second chance at all!), but likely wouldn't have.

Ultimately, I'm glad I had a chance to run the Herald with the Bloat Drone, but I think the Herald was the right choice simply because the Herald was useful for throwing down Smites and having some good close combat attacks, rather than because of his buff-field, and the Bloat Drone was good simply because he was so tough, rather than because he was benefiting from any buffs.