Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

GW Next 3 Codexes!

Yarium    21

Hey folks! Lots of you that browse 40k news sites probably already heard this, but if not, here's a link to BoLS for it. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/08/gw-confirms-next-three-40k-codexes.html

The next 3 codexes in 40k are.... Tyranids, Craftworld Eldar, and Astra Militarum!

What can we expect? No idea! Obviously there will be some point and power adjustments, as with the Space Marine, Grey Knights, and Chaos Space Marine codexes, plus expanded Strategems, Psychic Powers (the Eldar one in the index is criminally underwhelming), and Relics. So far, between the current 3 new codexes plus the Death Guard right on the horizon, it looks like half of the codexes being released also come with at least some new models. Space Marines got the Primaris boys, and Death Guard are getting new guns, new Typhus, Mortarion, and some kind of artillery vehicle too! Grey Knights I guess got a model, though that's a pretty minor release, but maybe it counts too. As such, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 2 of these codexes get some new models, and perhaps maybe all of them!

What kind of stuff could we see? I'm expecting the Craftworld Eldar are going to start showing their recent Ynnari plotlines with some new models that perhaps can also be taken with Ynnari, or which show off how their connection to death has been strengthened. It's bee a long time since new infantry forces have graced the pointy-eared ones, and I'd love to see that. Despite the constantly evolving Tyranids, I think they have a lot of options already in their line. My prediction for them would be a new Big Bug that can go toe-to-toe with Knights, Primarchs, and Gorka/Morkanauts. I'd love to see something like the Dominatrix or a miniature version of the Heirophant start stalking the Super Heavies of 40k. Lastly, the Astra Militarum could see some awesome releases. New Rough Riders? New Ratlings? Their book COULD even remain a mix of all their different mini-indexes like the Aeronatica Imperialis or the Officio Prefectus, and either consolidate these all under Astra Militarum keywords, or flesh out some of these mini-indexes into some really interesting mini-armies! Can you imagine an army with Commissar Troops, Commissar Heavy Supports, and Commissar Commissars? I sure can!

Lastly, the article references that there'll be the return of the Vehicle Design Rules. Mind = blown with this one, but I'm a bit trepidatious. The design rules were wonky and could lead to some fun conversions in the past, but they could be easy to break (they had to be updated last time - I was able to design a vehicle that was worth negative 5 points; the Grot in a Box). Hopefully, with all vehicles now sharing all the same rules as monsters, you can also make monsters out of this. I think the most likely part of this will be so that they can just discontinue some product lines and say "well, if you don't have rules for it, make them with the vehicle design rules!" aka: the Looted Wagon.

dreadpirate    50

Man if that big bug prediction is right I would be so pumped!

For nids specifically, im hoping for a bit more dakka and some points reductions for the flyrants/tyrants. Right now the army is in a good place and just needs a few tweaks to make it a bit more competitive. Now i'm not entirely sure what that looks like (give more units advance/charge) or more dakka to hold the line while the guys get up there. I also wouldn't mind a 5-6 invul on the gribblies to make them a little more resistant as well. For the nids specifically, price drops to be able to take more or things to make them a bit more durable/shooty to cover their advance would be pretty nice.

Overall though with the addition of CP's this edition, the sky's really the limit for what they can bring to the table that nids leave (the cultist 2cp resupply would be really nice and fluffy for swarm armies).

Ynarii specifically (if they are in the craftworld codex) I expect to get a small price bump on certain things (like clowncars w/ fusion) or a slight nerf to SDF (far too powerful as it is right now when mixed with the clown cars, multiple psychic phases, etc..)

For AM, I haven't seen too much trouble on that side of the table, maybe a price bump for conscripts so they aren't always a must bring unit. To be honest, I haven't played that many games against them to give quality feedback / hopes on that front.

Yarium    21

The main "fix" needed for AM is to make it that Conscripts can't benefit from the Commissars. Either that or that they can't benefit from Orders. They don't have the training and discipline of a proper Infantry Squad!

Ed-war-d    3
1 hour ago, Yarium said:

The main "fix" needed for AM is to make it that Conscripts can't benefit from the Commissars. Either that or that they can't benefit from Orders. They don't have the training and discipline of a proper Infantry Squad!

Do any Imperial guard have the discipline to face my Necrons?

MisterAG    19

... you guys do realize that Conscripts were 3 points last codex. They could also take orders and bullets from their cheerleader Commissar.

The major change, in my mind, is the increased accessibility for Conscripts. They have been historically restricted to an Infantry Platoon.

Require a Platoon Commander and a couple of Infantry Squads for each Conscript blob and the whining will stop. 

Yarium    21

Yeah, hence "fix" in quotation marks. I don't really think they're over powered at ALL. Still wouldn't be surprised to see that change simply due to internet rabble.

giphy.gif

Yarium    21

According to this article here from Faiet; http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/08/vehicle-design-rules-vdr-is-coming-to.html

The only vehicles that will be able to be designed, at first, are going to be Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine Land Raiders. So, I guess that means you can start collecting those Battle Cannons and make all new and wondrous Land Raider designs, but things like the Looted Wagon will be stuck in the mud a bit longer...

Ed-war-d    3

I like what Imperial guard have, and want to see them remain awesome. I want to see more awesome and less "well that goes back in the box".

dreadpirate    50
19 hours ago, MisterAG said:

... you guys do realize that Conscripts were 3 points last codex. They could also take orders and bullets from their cheerleader Commissar.

The major change, in my mind, is the increased accessibility for Conscripts. They have been historically restricted to an Infantry Platoon.

Require a Platoon Commander and a couple of Infantry Squads for each Conscript blob and the whining will stop. 

Yea I should of clarified, I wasnt exactly sure how the intricacies of the conscript spam list worked as I havent got to play against them enough. Guard def deserve their turn in the spotlight but when its just conscripts being the only reason to take them, I would hardly call that a spotlight haha.