Sign in to follow this  
kyriosepoch

Games Workshop is Being Sued for $62.5M

kyriosepoch    54

As outlined in the article: https://spikeybits.com/2017/08/games-workshop-is-being-sued-for-62-5m.html

This guy is suing GW for 62.5 million dollars based on copyright infringement, intellectual property theft, unfair business practices, shady pricing on models, etc.

It's a good read, it will probably go nowhere, but it's funny to see one guy trying to take on the company.

dreadpirate    53

Something that really stood out to me is the cited 3c of plastic per inch of model or w/e. Sure, in raw plastic it may cost that but what about all the overhead costs like salaries, benefits, sculptors, a building to put them in, all the software to run it, the many revisions it goes through before it hits production, the moulds themselves are known to cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, etc, etc.

If you read into it the guy owned 3 stores - 2 closed and 1 on the brink of closing and he is blaming GW for this but rumor is "distribution of counterfeit products" aka recasts so it's really sounding like he made his bed but doesn't want to lay in it. Had no issues selling it for 20+ years but as soon as he gets caught being shady they get sued.

Don't get me wrong, I want cheaper plastic crack as much as the next guy but so far everything I am reading stinks of trying to get money from them using the law after they've dropped him for being shady. I also enjoyed where it mentioned Martin S getting nailed for hiking the costs of life saving drugs by 5000% and yet fails to draw the conclusion that plastic miniatures and life saving medicine are two entirely separate things lol. Weird that he is going after GW for also ripping off Tolkien.

Very interested to see where this leads, I mean if it does somehow lead to cheaper plastic crack that would be awesome but I am failing to see on what basis he will get any of this 50mil -- then again, I am no legal eagle lol.

Timbor    16

Yeah, this does seem a bit frivolous to me. The limiting of independent retailers' ability to sell never did sit well for me though, but it must be legal as they have been doing it for years.

But the argument about the markup on the plastic soldiers... I never bought that. Anyone who runs a business knows what a load of crap that is. That little piece of plastic has to pay for everything in the business - staff, offices, research and development, mold making, etc. If a business owner invests the time, money, and expertise to create a product, they are entitled to charge whatever the market will bear as it was their own risk that got them there.

dreadpirate    53
12 minutes ago, Timbor said:

Yeah, this does seem a bit frivolous to me. The limiting of independent retailers' ability to sell never did sit well for me though, but it must be legal as they have been doing it for years.

It's a specialty product, almost any premium brand has many gotchas that go along with it. In the gaming world you can look to MTG or certain boardgames (cards against humanity was only available at certain retailers) and if you look outside the gaming world, you'll never see a lambo at an independent dealer unless they sign all of the licensing agreements etc.. Hell, to even open a starbucks you already have to have something like 500k - 1 million in the bank + 1 other successful franchise under your belt to even be considered.

Controlling your product / image of your product isn't such a strange concept outside of the gaming community it seems.

Ed-war-d    3

I see frustration with how their limited in their selling tactics, but on the flip side capping the online discount to 20% is totally reasonable to me. I mean selling online cheaper then other G.W. stores is sort of like infringing upon their turf. I mean who would support our local store if you could buy online for a 50% discount. 20% is reasonable, I still choose to support my local store over getting that discount.

By capping the online discount G.W. protects stores from competing against each other so they can be successful and provide gamers with a place to game. Ultimately capping this discount doesn't just help G.W., it really helps the stores without an online presence. G.W. is getting the same $ from stores either way. (granted discounts online will cause people to avoid the G.W. online store).

Taylor    89

GW models are not expensive or a premium product. Their models fall well within the line of other models that companies produce. Your average GW will run you $6. That's almost the same price as a reaper bones model. 

It's the amount of said models that costs a lot, but that's not the company's fault. There are lots of other solutions to this (such as playing deathmatch or whatever) or lower prices games. 

An infinity model costs roughly $15 by comparison.