Sign in to follow this  
Ed-war-d

Necron shooting modifiers working in tandum

Ed-war-d    3

There are two Necron shooting things I want to verify. I'm pretty sure about the first one.

Overwatch, MY will be done adds one to your to hit roll. So a 5 would count as a 6 which is needed for overwatch. Now it says you always need a 6 to hit regardless of your BS or any modifiers. So no over watch of 5's that's simple enough. I agree with this just I saw some you tube videos where people think you can over watch on a 5. I don't think you can.

The other one is more of a "really?" that is disappointing!

So I can put 2 modifiers on some units. I can add one to their to hit roll and let them re-roll ones. But would adding one prevent you from re-rolling ones? I mean if you roll a one, and it gets treated as a 2, then am I denied re-rolling to hit's of 1? IF so AAAAHHHHHHHHH! The overlords let you add one to your to hit roll, and triarch stalkers let you re-roll to hits of 1. Be so disappointing if these rules don't stack so that I either hit you, or re-roll. Imagine 20 warriors pumping out 40 shots, hitting on a 2+ and re-rolling ones.

Taylor    89

Rerolling 1s when you need 2s to hit seems like it would be something that would be deemed a little too good. If it was a S3/AP0 weapon... I could see it... but i very much doubt it is. 

Yarium    25

Rerolls are done before modifiers, so +1 rerolling 1's is fine, but if you hit on 2's and have -1 to hit, you can't reroll that result of 2, even though it gets reduced to 1.

Ed-war-d    3

Yes Immortals are fantastic but I'm not sure if its too good. with Tesla and having 2 shots, with just the +1 to hit you actually average 3 hits from 2 shots. On a 10 man squad that's 30 hits at str 5, amazing no doubt. But I'm not sure just how OP it is because you need to invest in supporting units. Both are approximately the same points cost of a squad of immortals.

Overlord/CCB gives the +1 to hit roll. the overlord only has 3" range, on the ability while the CCB has 12" on it. Keep in mind though that there will be a tempting target to charge with the CCB so either way you might have problems keeping this bonus on the Immortals. The CCB I use is 169pts vs a 10 man immortal squad at 170 pts. So while very powerful there are limitations on it.

Triarch stalker let's you re-roll 1's. This one is more problematic. The most popular gun option is basically a twin linked lascannon. While great vs vehicles your not getting your value out of it if you use it to help the Immortals vs Infatry. Another gun option that I do recommend is the Heat ray. Fantastic gun, has 2 shooting profiles one of which is basically a Heavy Flamer. While an excellent way to deal with Infantry it involves moving your stalker up close and some people don't like that. I don't mind though because it's decent in close combat. (better against bigger things than smaller) This is 171 points for the Heat ray option.

Now I only played 2 games of 8th Edition so I am not qualified to say if it is over powered or not, although I think its safe to say it's not under powered. On the Necron threads a lot of Necrons are having trouble in this edition, one guy lost 8 of 8 games. That being said a lot of the ones struggling are ones that are fielding 7th edition lists. In 8th I think Necrons are far more depending on having their units work together.

If you leave a 20 man warrior squad unprotected and someone ties it up with a rhino or engages it with CC the Necrons will find themselves in trouble very quickly. We have fantastic bonuses but a lot need to be within 3". Crypteks give a 5+ invul and +1 reanimation. Ghost arks gives you a bonus reanimation roll for warriors. While both need to be within 3", that stacks. 2 roll's of 4+ to bring back your warriors =~75% back. While that is a HUGE bonus, it forces us to keep our units in formation and can be ignored by wiping the squad. I love the 8th edition Necrons, we have some very strong stuff, we are a little more focussed on defense then offense, and our units work cohesively like a real legion. That being said, we don't have many units that are versatile and if our opponents can choose what part of the army fights what we will be in serious trouble. I freaking love it!