Sign in to follow this  
MisterAG

Varnish Based Models?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a varnish for my models. The vast majority, however, are already flocked. Will a spray varnish ruin the flock bases? Is there a paintable varnish with a matte finish?

I've used the GW Hard Coat paintable varnish on my Commissars and power swords because it makes things nice and shiny, but I don't want my Catachans to look like they've been at the beach all day.

IMG_20160511_063220_hdr.jpg

IMG_20160512_072505.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem. If I can recommend a great matte spray, army painter makes an awesome one. If you want certain elements of the model to shine - Vallejo makes a fantastic gloss medium. I've been using it for years - you can see it on Clark's tyranids.

Thanks! I was worried that it would 'unfluff' the grass.

I suppose that I can matte spray the models and then drop the gloss coat on top if I want to shine up some boots afterwards.

That's probably the best way to do it. A gloss varnish is goopier than a matte spray. Brian has some army painter stuff at GCC. Just make sure you follow the instructions. :)

Do not have any water on your model and do it in a place where there is minimal humidity, otherwise you will frost your models. 

• Upvote 1