MisterAG

The Beer and Pretzels Open 2017

Taylor    88

Yay! We can start a club!!

20170907_104900.thumb.png.f145a655e448b475e40a8b9faa27f356.png

Message @Yarium. He got back to me pretty quick and answered my questions. 

I'm just being funny, Aaron. I know you're busy planning this stuff. 

Yarium    21

I'm sure @MisterAG will be right on top of this, especially with this little poke! If you want Durek, shoot me the message and I'll make sure it gets taken care of as best I can!

Durek    1

I have a question.
I’m looking at playing a Heretic Astartes, Alpha Legion Battalion detachment with a Fortification Network to include the Aegis Defense line that I bought long ago.

I’m still having a little trouble understanding the Battle-forged restrictions and bonus they give when used.
My question is, does the inclusion of the Aegis Defense Line via Fortification Network null my ability to have my Troops be “objective secured” and use the Legion Trait since the Defense Line is simply Unaligned?

Aegis.jpg

• Like 1

Yarium    21

Not at all! In order to gain the "objective secured" bonus, you simply need a Battle Forged army. An army is Battle Forged so long as two things are true:

#1 - Every unit in your army shares at least ONE keyword.
#2 - Every unit in your army is part of a detachment.

Matched Play (like what we'll be doing at the BPO) stipulates that your 2000 point army should be made of 3 or fewer Detachments.

So long as that's all true, you're good, and gain all your wonderful ObSec bonuses!

If you check your rulebook, you'll also see that there's a Detachment type called a Fortification Network, which is composed of between 1 and 3 Fortifications. Well, you can take that Aegis Defence Line as a Fortification, so that way it's still part of a detachment, but it will mean you only have 2 other detachments to work with. For a lot of people that's A-Okay, as a Battalion or something like it is all you need, but others have very vast and/or weird armies that need all 3 of those detachments to function.

Also remember that to gain your Alpha Legion specific bonuses, you'll need your Alpha Legion detachments be composed ONLY of units that have the <<Legion>> faction keyword, all of which must be set to "Alpha Legion". EDIT: Since the Fortification Network is in its own detachment not with any other Alpha Legionairres, you won't lose your benefit! In fact, you could even have 1 detachment be Alpha Legion, a 2nd detachment be Night Lords, and a 3rd detachment be a Renegade Chapter, and ALL units in those detachments would EACH still benefit from their Legion Traits!

Edited by Yarium
  • Like 1

Yarium    21

Hey everyone! It's been pretty silent in the lead-up, but we're rocking and a rolling towards November, and the BPO is full speed ahead! All aboard the hype train! Choo choo!

We're really committed to trying to make the day the most fun event possible. Now with 8th edition here, there's a wealth of opportunities for all players! By the time November comes, we'll be up to our eyeballs in Ad Mech, Eldar, Thousand Sons, and Tyranid codexes, plus who knows how many others! Still, some of you might be itching to bring an army that only has a little itty-bitty index entry, and might feel like all the big boys get to throw around so many special rules that you just might sit in a corner and sulk. FEAR NOT! While everyone will get to use their Codex Stratagems and everything super-special-amazing-awesome, YOU will get the Beer and Pretzels Open Stratagems! That's right! Your own special collection of stratagems that means you can tumble with the rest of them! Here's my personal favourite:

Wrecked!
Cost: 1 Command Point
Use this Stratagem whenever a Vehicle is destroyed. Do not remove that model from the table. Instead, place it on any side (it can't be moved during this placement), and it becomes a Wrecked Vehicle and is treated as scenery (move any objective markers underneath it on top of it). You may not combine this Stratagem with the Explosion Stratagem.

Yes, you can again force your opponent's vehicles to become heaping mounds of twisted metal! Use it to get out of Line of Sight, or make a road-block of your opponent's own vehicles! Of course, for the especially willy players, you could use it on your vehicles too, by carefully positioning them so that once destroyed, you can continue to hide behind them as though they were still there!

We got more coming as we get closer. See you all soon!

Edited by Yarium

MisterAG    19

Attached to this post is the BPO Player Packet. It has the details for specific FAQ issues as well as scoring rubrics for painting and sportsmanship. Best of all, are the BPO Stratagems that are available to Index-only armies.

I've dated the file at September 13 and will endeavor to keep the link in the main post up to date. I will also re-post if there are significant edits (outside of spelling).

Feel free to reach out to myself or @Yarium if you have any questions or concerns.

Teaser:

Missions:

Round 1: Maelstrom of War (Cleanse and Capture) / Deployment (Hammer and Anvil)

Round 2: Eternal War (Retrieval Mission) / Deployment (Search and Destroy)

Round 3: Independent Tournament Circuit Combined Arms (The Relic) / Deployment (Spearhead Assault)

BPO Player Pack revised.doc

Yarium    21

Just want to point out to people; take note of how Ruins will be working at the BPO! Aaron and I strongly believe that some good Line of Sight blocking terrain is critically important in 8th edition, and helps make a table great. Since we don't have enough "giant LOS blocking" pieces in our sets, the first floor of a Ruin won't block Line of Sight INTO it, but will block Line of Sight THROUGH it! We're doing this to artificially increase how much LOS blocking terrain we have, and we want to make sure you're kept well aware of this before going into the tournament so you have a chance to prep.

Like @MisterAG said, please contact us with any questions, issues, or concerns you have. If you spot something and think it's a big mistake that we missed, please please please reach out to us!

Yarium    21

Good point! I don't think @MisterAG covered that in the Player Pack. Get back to work worm!

ImpossibleHeftyDunlin-size_restricted.gi

On a lighter note; you guys can feel free to pay either through eInterac (PM me for my contact info you need for this), meet up with us at the Nook on a Monday night, or message us and we'll work out another way to take payments!

Durek    1
46 minutes ago, Yarium said:

As per the rulebook, you may do either. Often that means people choose. 

Thanks, its what i figured. Wasnt sure about this tourney.
However i just reread the I Am Alpharius and it says i must roll randomly.

Yarium    21
8 hours ago, Durek said:

Thanks, its what i figured. Wasnt sure about this tourney.
However i just reread the I Am Alpharius and it says i must roll randomly.

Re-read that rule and you'll see why it's the case ;-) (hint: you get two traits with Alpha Legion).

Edited by Yarium

Durek    1
8 minutes ago, Yarium said:

Re-read that rule and you'll see why it's the case ;-) (hint: you get two traits with Alpha Legion).

yep, i just forgot that it had specified the roll :)
re read it as I was typing out my list

Edited by Durek

Taylor    88

Hah hah. Thanks dude - I'm happy to help. 

Edit - I just noticed that's the wrong one. I put the right one in your post and the OP post. 

• Like 1

Taylor    88

If you are going to get these printed, let me know. The copies here are only 72 dpi - you will need 200 dpi minimum for them to not come out like total crap. 

@Dasjuice - Thanks!