MisterAG

The Beer and Pretzels Open 2017

MisterAG    23

59415ce7ed581_BPOLogo.jpg.bda3d9ff939ab2ffb92ec282734a2bf4.jpg

igt.logo_.01.1-300x216.jpg

We're back for the third iteration of Sudbury's largest 40k tournament!

The full player packet should be attached to this post. Please look for (BPO FINAL.pdf)

Details:
3 rounds of play, 2 1/4 hours per round
2000 points, three detachments

ITC Style Missions and FAQ
Optional hot lunch

November 18th (mid morning start time)
Lockerby Legion, Sudbury
Registration: $25 - Online registration to follow. 24 players maximum.
Lunch: $15

-----------------------------------

Questions:

Q: Where else can I get information?
A: https://www.facebook.com/BeerAndPretzelsOpen/

A: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/

Q: Man, I hope that the lunch works out better than last year!
A: The kitchen staff has been turned over due to... performance issues.

Q: Where do I register?
A: Best Coast Pairings will be available soon. First to pay, First to play. Feel free to voice your interest in this thread!

Edited:

I've been waiting for BCP to have a Tournament Organizer App that doesn't require an iThing. That hasn't happened. We will be managing registration between here and the Facebook Event.

Q: Is this competitive or casual?
A: This event is what the players make it. We aim to accommodate all types of players, and use a self-imposed ranking system that helps ensure you fight people with the same mind-set as yourself for your first matchup. Historically, this has work very well and everyone has left happy.

Q: How do I win prizes?
A: The BPO rewards the full hobby. Prizes are awarded for Best General, Best Sportsman, and Best Hobbyist while the top prize is awarded to the player with the aggregate score (all scoring tracks are weighted equally). Prize support and distribution is dependent on attendance. Last year we had a total purse in excess of $1000 distributed to nearly 10 prizes!

----------------

Registration

The following is a list of players who have shown interest in attending. We can accept 24 players and will continue to manage a wait list. Players who pre-pay by October 17 will be guaranteed a spot. On October 17 we will start contacting the wait list to ensure that we can fill the event.

Please contact @Yarium for payment.

<spoiler>

Registered Players - September 25

1. JusticeBeaver - Paid
  2. Rashius
  3. BaggiestPanther
  4. dreadpirate
  5. Kousei
  6. Pie
  7. Kevin Armitage
  8. Irvin Armitage
  9. Taylor
  10. Grimaldus
  11. Corey
  12. Dasjuice
  13. Steve Marleau
  14. Ben Gammon
  15. Zaxxon
  16. Stygiophobia
  17. Jay Lymer
  18. Kenny
  19. Evan Urso
  20. Mark Ammirante
  21. Edward Bush - Paid / Lunch
  22. Durek - Paid / Lunch
  23. AVR
  24. kyriosepoch

Wait List:

1. Connor Makarucha
  2. Hazard30
  3. Max Robicheaud
  4. Pete

</spoiler>

Edited by MisterAG
Attendance - September 25
  • Upvote 1

Sign me up! I know things can change from now till then but I will book my time off tomorrow for this haha. I had an absolute blast last year and can't wait to do it all over again.

Rashius    2

YAY FINALLY ON A DAY I AM NOT WORKING! 

I have been hearing awesome things about this event every year. Can't wait. 

Deademperor    16

As long as I can bring things to completion (which I intend to do for the possible army on parade)

But I'll probably be a late entry. 

Taylor    89

How many points is the tournament? Sorry if this is a silly question - but I couldn't find it anywhere. 

*nevermind.. i'm an idiot. 

MisterAG    23

Thanks for the early interest, folks!

We will be running the registration through Best Coast Pairings, but I need an iThing to run the Tournament Organizer application. Dang those guys for not supporting a 5 year old Blackberry! Seriously though, the BCP player app offers a really slick user experience for tournament scoring and reporting. No more scraps of paper!

I'm a big believer in what the guys over at Frontline Gaming are doing with the Independent Tournament Circuit. Not so much for the fact that their tourneys bring together some of the best competition around, but more so for the fact that they seem to err of the side of fun when it comes to rules issues.  For example, the Kill Points mission out of the book is pretty much an auto-win in the instance of a low unit count army (Imperial Knights) versus an MSU army. The ITC revision on that map simply replaces Destroyed Units with Destroyed Power Level. So killing that one knight will net you 20-some kill points versus killing a Tactical Squad for 5.

Taylor    89
7 minutes ago, MisterAG said:

Thanks for the early interest, folks!

We will be running the registration through Best Coast Pairings, but I need an iThing to run the Tournament Organizer application. Dang those guys for not supporting a 5 year old Blackberry! Seriously though, the BCP player app offers a really slick user experience for tournament scoring and reporting. No more scraps of paper!

I'm a big believer in what the guys over at Frontline Gaming are doing with the Independent Tournament Circuit. Not so much for the fact that their tourneys bring together some of the best competition around, but more so for the fact that they seem to err of the side of fun when it comes to rules issues.  For example, the Kill Points mission out of the book is pretty much an auto-win in the instance of a low unit count army (Imperial Knights) versus an MSU army. The ITC revision on that map simply replaces Destroyed Units with Destroyed Power Level. So killing that one knight will net you 20-some kill points versus killing a Tactical Squad for 5.

Neat. I was actually talking with OJ about that on Saturday night on whether or not you added together power level to determine kill points... as I thought it was a pretty good idea... as you can year through a ton of pox walkers pretty easily, where primaris are a little more sturdy. 

Taylor    89

Also... if you're having issues - @kyriosepoch made a GREAT Google form for tournament tracking. We use it for all of our infinity events, and it generates a form and a spreadsheet where players fill in the form and the results are automatically calculated for you in a spreadsheet. 

I'd talk to him as he might be able to help out of you can't get the app working. 

Kevin    45

@Taylor I think they are going to be using something similar. It's an app called beast coast pairings. Made specifically to track tournament pairings and what not, it automatically populates pairings and players input the results for each round themselves via the app. It's actually really cool.

MisterAG    23

@Taylor

The TO application (used to manage registration, start the tournament, micromanage pairings, start/stop rounds) is iThing only. The player app (used to report scores, view tournament standings and results, as well as view your opponent's list) is browser based as well as Android/iThing compatible.

I also have an excel sheet that I've worked off of for a few years. It tracks matchup history and table assignment on top of generating Swiss Pairings.

Regardless, it will be a great time.

Taylor    89

Awesome. Sounds great. I saw the word iThing and thought it might only be iOS compatible.

Kevin    45
1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Awesome. Sounds great. I saw the word iThing and thought it might only be iOS compatible.

I believe it is only iOS right now, but they are working on the android app. The coolest thing about the app IMO is that it has a feature to take prepayment for the tournament, people can upload their lists via the app as well. It takes a lot of the bookkeeping away from the TO.

Taylor    89

Which is great, but most people don't have iPhones... Which would make it a pain in the ass. As long as they have a web based solution, I'm down. 

Kevin    45
3 hours ago, Taylor said:

Which is great, but most people don't have iPhones... Which would make it a pain in the ass. As long as they have a web based solution, I'm down. 

I think more people have iOS then you would think, also in that case most TOs will have an iPad dedicated for the day for people to input scores whom don't have a iDevice. Although their Andriod app should be out before November.

Taylor    89

From what I understand, 88% of the world market uses android, vs 12% that uses iOS or other. IMO, you're crazy not to take both into consideration ... in North America, we are looking at a out 55% android, with the remaining 45% using iOS or Windows.

Taylor    89

Please keep in mind.. this is 2016 numbers.. I have no idea about 2017. Things could have changed dramatically.