Sign in to follow this  
Taylor

Rakka - Neill Blomkamp new project

Taylor    89

If you have 20 minutes, I strongly recommend checking this out.  It is fucking bad ass.

kyriosepoch    54

I don't think there will be. He's making a bunch of free short films.

I watched this a few days ago, and I realized what I didn't like about the current state of the alien movie industry, is that every alien has special powers. Why can't we have an alien race that is just technologically more advanced that the human race?

I understand there psychological scare factor by having magic monsters, but how scary was the Nazi regime? Total and complete domination by a superior race is terrifying when no matter what happens we lose. (Think half-life and the combine)

Taylor    89

From what I understand, this is a proof of concept for studios - though i thought I read that he wanted to make this into a television show (probably HBO, Cinemax,  or Netflix). A lot of directors do this... just turns out that Blomkamp's concept videos are quite watchable. 

You might laugh at the above short... but i was done prior to district 9, and on a shoe string budget. 

This became district 9. 

He's got a bunch on youtube.. they're pretty good.

Taylor    89
14 minutes ago, kyriosepoch said:

I don't think there will be. He's making a bunch of free short films.

I watched this a few days ago, and I realized what I didn't like about the current state of the alien movie industry, is that every alien has special powers. Why can't we have an alien race that is just technologically more advanced that the human race?

I understand there psychological scare factor by having magic monsters, but how scary was the Nazi regime? Total and complete domination by a superior race is terrifying when no matter what happens we lose. (Think half-life and the combine)

I think most of their powers (outside of the mind control) were granted from that Nano suit they were wearing. Technology looks like magic to those who don't understand it. I'm sure when Europeans sailed to the new world, their steel weapons and black powder probably looked like they had special powers to the current residents. 

I'm also sure the final won't look anything like this - it will go through lots of rewrites before we see its final iteration. Blomkamp doesn't have three studio cred to write something and not have it mauled by the producers, especially after elysium and chappie.  

Taylor    89

Also.. to be fair, the combined army has it's fair share of space magic - mainly mnemonica, and sepsitors. Little known fact actually, the anathematics was a killer hacker before there were killer hacking devices. 😁