Sign in to follow this  
Xeurian

One New Faction Each Year

In yesterday's press release about No Quarter PRIME, Privateer Press mentioned that it's release schedule will include a new Faction for Warmachine/Hordes every year. Seems like kind of a big deal... 

Once the Skorne Command book releases in September, Privateer Press will no longer publish supplemental books for WARMACHINE & HORDES, with the exception of a Force book each year corresponding to the annual release of a new Faction for the games. Instead, all content committed to print for WARMACHINE & HORDES will be found within the pages of No Quarter Prime.

Which factions are folks hoping for? Ord? Another Dragon? One of the nations in Zu? Perhaps civil war style sub-factions? 

There is also some concern over balance and bloat. I think if they plan on expanding wide with factions approximately the size of CoC or Grymkin that they may actually have an easier time balancing as those factions have fewer "moving parts" as it were. For those who play competitively, I could see trying to remember everything that everyone does to become something of a hurdle, however...

http://privateerpress.com/press-releases/privateer-press-to-reinvent-no-quarter-as-no-quarter-prime

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-6-15-2017

That's actually not a bad idea. It will eliminate the burden of knowledge to play the game and keep things fresh and affordable for players. Pretty smart actually.  😆

11 minutes ago, Deademperor said:

That's a pretty nifty idea. Ord would be Awesome, so would Llaile (?) But maybe even a gobber rebellion!

Free Llael(I looked that up, lol) might be interesting if they can avoid stepping on Cygnar/Merc design space. I'm trying to think of a hypothetical faction that might sway me to pick them up but I'm drawing a blank...

I think in a previous primecast they used the word sub faction in reference to at least some (if not most) of the new factions coming forward.  I would not be surprised if you got cephalyx like sub faction releases for not merc faction. So you could take the sub faction in your list pairing but can't use the individual pieces in the rest of your lists.  Maybe. 

Khadorian worshippers of menoth would be a cool mash up.  

I suspect many factions will be partial mash up/cross over with the patrician rule

14 hours ago, Taylor said:

It will eliminate the burden of knowledge to play the game

How does it eliminate the burden of knowledge? If anything it seems like its more things that everyone needs to learn. 

Ahhh.. maybe you're right. I was thinking fewer units per faction, but then you still have the older factions plus releases for them. If anything - it might be harder as the factions have New army wide rules, right? I haven't played MK3. 

Well, I can see the burden of knowledge becoming to grand that people stop giving a fuck, and instead of prepping against specific match ups they will prep for skew lists (high armour, high defense, troop spam or  jack/beast spam)

or dare I say it... People are forced to make balanced lists :CoolDance:

1 minute ago, StreetPizza said:

HA!  Human nature says no.

Well, lol, I feel like I'm at the point that the burden is too great, so the lists I have been making aim to answer high armour an defense....

..... But I also haven't played a real game since the last tournament at GCC (2 years?)

1 hour ago, wolf9416 said:

How does it eliminate the burden of knowledge? If anything it seems like its more things that everyone needs to learn. 

For new players, you generally only focus on learning what your own stuff does, and each opponent just let's you know whatever they are playing to help you learn the game does (hopefully nothing too complicated). If your faction has fewer options, for example, only two heavy Warbeast options, you can figure out what they do, how they play and which you might prefer pretty quick. I find it's only when you are at a tournament deciding your list selection where you need to have a really good idea of what your opponent's lists are doing.

One of the biggest barriers to learning is the inaccessibility of model rules. Fortunately they (claim that they) are going to put all of them online for free.

Why do you doubt that they're going to do it?

They already have all of the cards affected by errata online and every new model released since they stopped putting the cards in the boxes.  It just takes awhile to proof read that many PDFs but I'm sure you'll see the rest of the game there very soon.

It's been over a month and they haven't made any progress. They also announced that they would be coming up with a print-on-demand service to replace cards that has not materialized.

That said, I do expect them to make good on the card database. It's just taken much longer than I had imagined it would have.

There are also places like Battle College that, with the new rules, have basically full card information: http://battlecollege.org/index.php/Main_Page

*shrug* I've never had a problem getting information about a model. And the price for the full card collection on warroom is pretty minor in comparison to the amount of money I have spent on other aspects of the game, but I understand not everyone sees it that way. 

Edited by wolf9416

54 minutes ago, Rhonlore said:

It's been over a month and they haven't made any progress.

They added all the new Ret releases on Wednesday when the book dropped... and... The 3 'jacks from the House Vyre kit for... reasons... probably...

Okay I'll be wrong on that then. That's fine if they continue to add the cards as they release, that will be great.

Honestly I am hoping the entire collection hits with Lock & Load.