Sign in to follow this  
StreetPizza

Summer Campaign: Battle for the Marches

So with the big tournaments of the year behind us and the summer lull coming up its time to step into some more casual gaming mode.  After talking with the regular Wednesday night attendees it seems there is some appetite for a summer map campaign.   To get the ball rolling I've drafted up the following for a map and rules and fluff.  If you're interested in participating then hit me up with a response below, PM or e-mail and I'll add you to the list and assign a starting position.  I will be asking all participants for 20$ to help drive prize support.

Story:

The blood stone marches are a desolate wasteland full of monsters where only the intrepid dare to tread.  In recent times however a cruel and savage race have traversed the marches to threaten all of Immoren.  The Skorne have come!

First they raided the lands of Cygnar, announcing their arrival with blood and steel.   Next they savaged the southern reaches of IOS only to be rebuffed by the timely appearance of an unlikely hero redeemed to his people.  Now they threaten the lands of the protectorate daring to siege even holy Imer itself and slaying their Hierarch Severius.  Khador is wary that even they may not be safe from these savages and the time to act is now.  

For Immoren's more savage denizens the Skorne represent a different kind of threat.  Everblight has long eyed the treasures contained in the Castle of the Keys.  The fortress was the lair of the dragon Pyromalfic until he was killed by the Skorne.  While Everblight has since recovered Pyromalfic's athanc the location still radiates with the remnants of his power and is central to the plans of the Legion.  Lord Toruk of Cryx is also interested in the remnants of his offspring's power and has commanded that his Litches travel to the Castle and retrieve what they can.  The Skorne are unlikely to reliquish any artifacts willingly and must be "convinced" otherwise.  The blackclads of the Circle Orboros are irate at the devastation the Skorne have wrought on their ley line sites and fight to reclaim the area and preserve the balance of Orboros in the region.  Finally the trolls of the Eastern Kriels have been displaced by the fighting and move to reclaim their homes and lands.

All of these competing interests are unlikely to take kindly to the presence of any interlopers in the area.  From such conditions the only answer is war!

The Castle of the Keys is the Skorne's central staging area for attacks on Immoren and their route to the civilized lands passes directly through Greybranch Gap and Ternon Crag.  Whoever controls these areas will have a significant advantage in preventing further raids and dictating where the Skorne are able to attack next.

Western_Immoren.thumb.jpg.e5244494610aea9b763f5c9f56b9c790.jpg

59938822f2fa1_Week12.thumb.jpg.dbbd1bb02d7370e7f9e78a01d3cf317e.jpg

The Rules:

• Each player will be assigned a starting location
  • Players controlling multiple special locations may only choose one benefit for each battle.
  • The results of battles and zones claimed / captured must be e-mailed to the organizer each week so that the map can be updated.  The new map will be posted here every Monday including a summary of which zones have changed hands during the week.
  • The campaign will begin May 22nd and run until Sept 1st.  Late entries will be permitted however you will start with only one zone and be required to make up for lost time however you can.
  • The following locations are special and battles there will be fought with extra conditions:
    • 4 - Eastern Kriel Holds 
      • A Battle here should be set up with multiple huts and fences.  
      • The trolls that live here are hunkered down in the huts waiting for the fighting to pass.  At the start of each players turn the defending player may make one Rng 10 Rat 6 Pow 10 shot from one of the huts as the Trolls try to encourage the warriors to leave them alone.  The huts are structures with 15 boxes and arm 18 which can be destroyed leaving rubble in their place.
      • The player controlling the kriels can field 1 Champ Hero in their lists free of cost in battles
    • 7 - Scale forth lake docks
      • Set up the battle field with 6" of the map on one side edge being shallow water.  From turn 2 on wards the defender may ambush up to 30pts of his list on the edge with the water as landing craft make landfall. 
      • The player who controls zone 7 may also consider, zones 4, 9,  5, 11, and 17 as adjacent to their territory for attacking.
    • 11 - Bog Trog Village
      • A powerful Bokur has left a curse on this place and warring armies should beware.  Whenver a warrior model is destroyed roll a d6 and on a roll of 5 or 6 replace the model with a bog trog shambler.  The shambler immediately activiates  and charges the closest model (ignoring line of sight) and then is removed from play
      • Set up with swamps and ruined huts.  
      • The player that controls zone 11 may field one Bog Trog Trawler free of cost in battles
    • 20 - Farrow Village
      • Same as zone 4 for set up and conditions
      • The player that controls zone 20 may field Maximus free of cost in battles
    • 22 - The Castle of the Keys
      • The Defender may set up an extra 2 walls and one trench up to 20" from their table edge before the game begins.
      • The player that controls the Castle may deploy an extra 6 pts of models in battles where they are the defender. 
    • 29 - Ternon Crag
      • Set up the battle as taking place in the farms just outside the city.  
      • The city is equipped with mortars which the defender may target anywhere on the battlefield once during each of his turns.  Range *, Rat 1, AOE 4 Pow 15
      • The player that controls the Crag may conquer one additional zone each week.
    • 32 - Grey branch Gap
      • Set up as a canyon with lots of rocks and walls.
      • See custom scenario
      • The player that controls the crag may deploy an extra 6 pts of models in battles where they are the attacker as this is the main reinforcement route for the area.

• Capturing zones:
    • Every game played between players in the league is eligible to initiate a zone capture.  The victorious player submits an e-mail notification to the organizer declaring the following:
      • who played
      • who won and how (scenario, assassination, tie breakers)
      • pts level
      • scenario
      • desired zone to be captured
    • if two players submit separate reports in the same week both claiming the same zone the organizer will randomly assign each of them a different zone and they will play off for the desired zone the following week.
    • Players may capture an opposing players zone if they share a border.  The capture mechanism is the same as above except that the game must have been played between the players who's zone are connected.  The victorious player does not have to capture the enemy territory and may still choose an empty zone on the map that is contiguous with their territory.
    • Players can only claim 2 territories per week.
    • Player starting locations may not be captured (i.e. every player will always have at least one zone)
    • SPECIAL LOCATIONS: The initial capture of the special locations happens like any other zone (win a battle and claim the empty zone).  After a special location is capture it may only be taken if another player reaches the location with their territory and challenges the occupying player for that specific zone.  The special scenario for that location is set up (usually giving the defender and advantage) and the game is played.  If the attacking player wins then the zone is captured.  If the defender is victorious they may select and empty zone on the map per normal or take a territory from the attacker that is adjacent to the special zone attacked.

• For the extra models required I'll be purchasing them if I don't already have them and they will be part of prize pool at the end of the tournament.  I will lend my models for the special models to which ever player controls the zone associated with the bonus for use in their games.  These are the two models which will be purchased for the prize pool.  These two models will raffled off among the players that don't win any of the main prizes.
    • Maximus
    • Trawler

Scoring and prizes:  

• Each zone is worth one point and all special zones are worth 3 pts.  Point totals will tallied up at the end of the league.  
  • There will be a prize for first and second:
    • First: Non-character Heavy jack/beast kit of your choice
    • Seocnd: Solo blister of your choice
  • If there are enough people registered then there will also be a painting prize for the best painted battle group painted during the event to be judged collectively by all participants.  A battle group must be a minimum of a warcaster/warlock and 3 warjacks/beasts (a colossal or gargantuan will count for two jacks/beasts) and fill all the warbeast/jack points of the caster leading the group.

So that's it.  If you think I've missed some key piece of information then let me know with questions below.  Looking forward to this one.

DD

Participants

1. David D. - Protectorate (paid)
  2. Josh L. - Skorne (paid)
  3. Mat D. - Retribution (paid)
  4. Robby - Cryx (paid)
  5. Tyrone - Legion (paid)
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -

Edited by StreetPizza
  • Upvote 1

I ran an infinity summer campaign last year that I felt was pretty successful. If you need any help, lemme know. We had an online reporting form you filled out after each game that kept track of data. 

Nice work Dave, scenarios look pretty fun. 

I wish I could commit to another league, but time and money is short as it is. 

If you you do tournaments or leagues like this again in the future I'll be down. 

Edited by Deademperor

Did we determine when the special rules for zones start activating? Like is it a second round thing, or if I am first and control Ternon Crag can I drop an AoE on my opponent's deployment?

You guys are making me jelly.  Unfortunately we are a little low in the players department for me to do this, one of our new guys is done for the summer and Nathan and James only make every other game night if I am lucky (usually for good reasons).  So lately it's been Quinn and I. 

2 hours ago, wolf9416 said:

Did we determine when the special rules for zones start activating? Like is it a second round thing, or if I am first and control Ternon Crag can I drop an AoE on my opponent's deployment?

Good question.  Lets say top of two for that and the shooting buildings.  

40 minutes ago, Polipotent said:

You guys are making me jelly.  Unfortunately we are a little low in the players department for me to do this, one of our new guys is done for the summer and Nathan and James only make every other game night if I am lucky (usually for good reasons).  So lately it's been Quinn and I. 

Easy solution ... move to Sudbury.

Edited by StreetPizza

I thought I'd give people a glimpse of how I intend to approach this campaign as a player.  There's some awesome potential here for narrative building as we go and I intend to take advantage of that.  

Given that I'm setting this up to take place after the book Faithless I can't use any iteration of Severius given that he's now dead.  Also the Harbinger and Reznik are off racking heretics somewhere in Lael so they're also off the table.  Kreoss was the hero of the hour breaking the siege of Imer with timely reinforcements from the Northern Crusade and the Visigoths have since given him the holy duty of bringing further vengeance to the Skorne.  As such all three versions of Kreoss will be fair game for his crusade of righteous retribution towards the Castle of the Keys.  Among his troops will be Skippy the examplar errant.  A Character my friends will be familiar with (I assembled him with shoulder guards on backwards by mistake).  I'll keep posting in this thread detailing his exploits around the crag and if he manages to secure enough territory he may need to call up another warcaster from Imer to help him hold it.  We'll see who the Visigoths deign to send as reinforcements.

My first army should look something like this:

Kreoss scouting force (50pts):
[Theme] Exemplar Interdiction

(Kreoss 3) Intercessor Kreoss [+28]
 - Dervish [7]
 - Dervish [7]
 - Dervish [7]
 - Dervish [7]
High Exemplar Gravus [9]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Exemplar Errants (max) [16]
Exemplar Vengers (max) [20]

For early campaign Mounted Kreoss is fastest Kreoss.  Claim that territory!

Edited by StreetPizza

13 minutes ago, Polipotent said:

Wait you didn't always live in Sudbury?

Started here, moved to the GTA, started playing Warmachine there and brought it up with me to Sudbury.

Week 1 is up and the map in the first post has been updated with starting locations.  Notice that we're all coming from the edge of the map so that your starting location cannot be captured. 

Let the race for territory begin!

42 minutes ago, StreetPizza said:

Week 1 is up and the map in the first post has been updated with starting locations.  Notice that we're all coming from the edge of the map so that your starting location cannot be captured. 

Let the race for territory begin!

Dave your photo editing skills are legendary.

Also whew, time to take over the world for Skorne!

Photoshop is expensive.  Not buying that just to make a crappy campaign map less crappy.  

You scrubs get my mediocre MSPaint skills and you'll like it.

Yes.... buy photoshop... 

Not that I even use photoshop, paint.net is where its at. Open source, and free (like actually free, not torrenting photoshop free. Not that anyone would ever do that).

56 minutes ago, wolf9416 said:

Yes.... buy photoshop... 

Not that I even use photoshop, paint.net is where its at. Open source, and free (like actually free, not torrenting photoshop free. Not that anyone would ever do that).

I agree Paint.Net is pretty great. No one would pirate Photoshop, least of all me... No one...