Sign in to follow this  
Timbor

TerrainCrate by Mantic

This just launched on KS, and looks pretty decent!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/terraincrate-plastic-affordable-fantasy-terrain/description

Basically, there are a bunch of different options for scatter scenery. I like the bookcases that are available, there seems to be a shortage of those available.

054e3a9a43fb09bddcb7f03aabb5ff8f_origina

d511b5625b5f60dfba41990f1b17319c_origina

4a8aecb4b2d38c494a7be6837bb894bb_origina

There is a one year wait time, which is not as fun, but it will be interesting to see what extra stuff are added to these over the course of the KS campaign.

At this point I am in at $1 just to get the updates... may stay that way and just add funds after the campaign during the pledge manager. Time will tell.

9 hours ago, Taylor said:

It sure is expensive. I posted before I checked the price. 

Well, the stretch goals keep adding more stuff to the sets, so we shall see how much of a deal it becomes by the end.

2 hours ago, GreyKnight said:

nice stuff but just can't do a kick starter for something from an established company  

Fair enough, but I have come to accept that it is mostly a form of advertising nowadays. That and better deals than retail. At least with established companies I don't mind pledging $1 and waiting until the threaten to close the pledge manager before finalizing an actual pledge. Gives me time to make sure I actually want to buy the stuff, and also they don't get to hold onto my money for a year or more before sending something.

Well, each crate (if you buy 1) is $75... There are 4 kits per crate, and each kit will retail $30, apparently.

That's not a bad deal and if 3 of us get on the 3 crate bundle it's less, let alone the stretch goals

Those prices are usd... add 40%. Then there is shipping... which is also usd.

Without being too dramatic.. you're looking at $120 cad by the time it gets to you across the border. 

With the 3 crate deal, you're looking at a total of $270 ... if you don't get dinged with the 25%-35% brokerage fee that magic has never managed to not charge me. 

That's a little steep for some dungeon scenery.. and I'm a god damned spendthrift. 

I agree papercraft is amazing, but given the choice would prefer more 'texture'. There have been a healthy amount of extras added to the sets already, and the offering of subsets as addons is a nice thing too. Now Gary can just order a bunch of library sets (thought has crossed my mind too!)

On 4/27/2017 at 6:36 AM, GreyKnight said:

nice stuff but just can't do a kick starter for something from an established company  

I'm in the same boat as you, I always think it's tacky and in bad taste to use kickstarter to fund a project for an established company (looking at you Sony and your asking for money at E3). It's truly unfortunate that kickstarter is used as an advertisement platform by the larger companies more and more. On the other hand, I can't fault them for working in the confines of what was set for them and if it works -- well good for them I guess.

1 hour ago, dreadpirate said:

I'm in the same boat as you, I always think it's tacky and in bad taste to use kickstarter to fund a project for an established company (looking at you Sony and your asking for money at E3). It's truly unfortunate that kickstarter is used as an advertisement platform by the larger companies more and more. On the other hand, I can't fault them for working in the confines of what was set for them and if it works -- well good for them I guess.

For me it depends. I have a friend of mine who runs a terrain company, but he runs it out of his house. He doesn't make enough to have a warehouse and builds terrain  kits largely to spec. Over the years I HAVE convinced him to advertise to grow his business, but largely it is the large cash injections he needs to maintain his business. I do also respect that his KS turn around time is 3 months and not three years. When he kickstarts something, it's more of a pre-order system. He has no plans for growing the company into a multi-employee business, as he just wants to maintain his lifestyle... so I get it. For little guys just doing their own thing every once and a while, sure. It's just a cash injection to boost their hobby. I notice when I really want something, I'm also a lot more motivated to do commission work - but ultimately, I am not looking at turning it into a full time job. 

Sony, Mantic, Modiphus,  Wyrd, and even Hawk Wargames... I shake my head at those guys. They have the marketing funds to do a product justice - and should really be shying away from kickstarter. I have a lot of respect for GW, Privateer Press and Corvus Belli for never taking that route.

So, the campaign seemed pretty successful. Not Reaper Bones successful, mind you, but I daresay Reaper has a better reputation for their end product. Either way, this is what it came to with the stretch goals:

3b95b880c95d749ef4607437d5407afd_origina

240903657b2969020dc49eb0d7224952_origina

7217350b2b755fb8084ab164bbb6c4f0_origina

They also added a few smaller add-on sets:

dfe6214b214e9c18876df4cbe4195c93_origina

43e58c5136c154767f853a5b835aada7_origina

b6398892ba2d1193effc5b61ef58a486_origina

The optional sets don't excite me quite as much. The temple seems pretty lame. I only  backed this at the $1 level... will consider in a few months if I actually want to buy any of the sets or not. Those bookshelves are quite nice though.

I'm thinking someone in the community should invest in a 3d printer and make a boat load of cash.