Sign in to follow this  
Xeurian

Warroom Update Thursday

Polipotent    5

Meh. I like Issyria with 3 units of Halberdiers but besides that I didn't look at anything and go  "OMG awesome". The Nyss and that 1 theme force with Issyria specifically is all I even liked.  I think Gyrrshyld is meh, I think he needs to be played with a jack spam.  Swordsmen are corner case.  The spears are disappointing as far as character units go. 

Polipotent    5

meh? They just don't seem as flavourful as some of the other character units.  Are they the worst? No, are they the best? No.  They will definitely see some play.  

Maybe I should explain my reaction to the Ret stuff.  I feel that Ret is a great faction with very little that is "Bad" but I also think they don't have a truly "Great" piece.  You could argue Sentinels but I think they are just perfectly good and do their job well.  I see other factions get stuff that I look at and go "Wow that is !@#$ing good" (Khador, Circle (Loki), etc) and I was hoping I would have 1 model that made me feel that way about something in Ret.  Instead we receive generally good stuff.  Nothing anyone else really has to worry about or plan for but still good.  

StreetPizza    20

I think you may be experiencing a bit of grass is greener syndrome.  I looked at those spears and wished I had them in Circle over the death wolves.  The arcanist unit now gives Ret more focus to play with per turn than any other faction in the game.  Ret's play style has just been blown wide open with that addition.  I think the house guard theme force will come to be seen as one of the best in the game.  The fane solo attachment is just bonkers good for protecting casters like Vyros, Garryth and Thyron.  Being able to play those guys further up field will open up a lot of really cool tactics.  The swordsman attachment single handedly makes that unit viable for anybody with a defense buff.

Hemera, defenders and the two nyss solos ... Yeah take it or leave it.  Tough to recommend the nyss when you can always say but why not sentinels?  Hemera is a big bucket of utility that I'm not sure Ret really needed.

Edited by StreetPizza

Polipotent    5

The Defense of Ios theme force for me is the best thing to come out of the command book.  However, I think the best way to play it is probably 3 units of Halberdiers with UA and I don't know if I want to purchase, assemble and paint 3 units of Halberdiers right now.   I also don't think the arcanist unit is bad I just think "awesome more arcanists, so now I can either pay 6 points for 3 solos or 7 points for 3-man unit or 13 to 20 points for both? Starting to get into support bloat.  

I could see them maybe with Rahn or a theme list that gives you stuff for free like Forges of War. 

Xeurian    16
2 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Tough to recommend the nyss when you can always say but why not sentinels? 

The 6 point difference is why a lot of folks are taking them into serious consideration. Precision strike on a weapon master is nice against targets you have shot up a bit as well. They can hunt cortexes or weapon arms pretty well that way. DEF14, tough and steady against mat 6 heavies can also be naice.

Hemera is very cool. Heavily considering her. Repo 3 with that gun is super cool. Upkeeping two spells for free and tossing out 3 Blinding Lights with Issy is awesome.

The repo 3" on stormfall archers and arcanists is awesome in the houseguard theme, let alone the advanced move halbs and the free 8 point dragoon. Looking at playing it with Ossyan or Issy. 

Not sure if I'll be playing the arcanist unit much myself. Magic ability 5 POW 12 is an ok sidearm for when you are  in a tough spot that could see use during Rahn's feat. I might bring a unit of them with two solo arcanists depending on how much ConPow I need. The most hilarious 'janky application I've seen considered with them is fully loading a Marshaled Griffon with 3 focus and con pow for 5 POW 19 halberd attacks under Elara2. Now that's a HEAT missile!

I have already had an argument on the flavor for the character unit elsewhere. In short, I love it. It's like The Gray Fox. A legendary, mysterious entity that keeps returning time and again. The Spears of Scyrah always go to the suicidal extreme to make sure the mission is complete. Their legacy is always reinstated time and again by the most dedicated of the Retribution's Mage Hunters. 

Side note, I just somehow pocket opened my phone to a google image search of Kaelyssa... Not sure how that happened, but I'm not complaining.

Xeurian    16

Speaking of Defenders of Ios... Looks like PP saw that people would just be using it to run nothing but Halberdiers. At the moment in CID, all units and Battle Engines now contribute to free points. Though Halberdiers are still the only ones gaining advance move, you don't have to feel so hamstrung by taking Stormfall Archers, Swordsmen or the AFG (which has gone unchanged after a week of testing unlike all but Circle's BE, nice!).