Sign in to follow this  
wolf9416

Steamroller 2017

wolf9416    15

Steamroller 2017 is now in the CID! I have attached the PDF for the current rule set, but the most up to date version will be available on the CID forums as they make changes throughout the process. 

Notable changes:

• You can now draw LOS and move through your friendly objective. Best change, who cares about the rest really....
  • Scenarios no longer have a set target of 5 control points. You must now have 6 more control points than your opponent to win the game (so you can win 6 - 0, or 10 - 4, etc...)
  • Zones can no longer be controlled by every model, and dominating no longer exits (rules for contesting seem to be the same)
    • Warlocks/warcasters can control any zone by being within it or flag by being base to base with it
    • Warrior models can only control circular zones (but can still contest rectangular zones and flags). Units must still have all members in the zone
    • Warjacks/warbeasts can only control rectangular zones (but can still contest circular zones and flags)
  • All scenarios have a Fixed Game Length. This means that the game automatically ends after the second players seventh turn, and the game goes to tie breakers.

Steamroller 2017 CID Week One.pdf

Edited by wolf9416

wolf9416    15

Looks that way. Wasn't looking forward to the whole random turn thing. I honestly don't know when the last time was that I played a game that went to round 7, so I really don't think it will be coming up very often... Really just means that we have to keep track of rounds now, which is the most annoying part xD

wolf9416    15

I feel like with the requirement to have 6 more control points than your opponent, scenario victories are going to happen much less often, but I could be wrong. Will have to play out some games and see how it goes.

StreetPizza    20

I don't know about that.  There's a ton of options for scoring now and some of those scenario elements are pretty dense.  Take a fast army like Oracles and jam your opponent on their side of the table and you could earn up to 6pts a turn.

wolf9416    15
10 minutes ago, StreetPizza said:

I don't know about that.  There's a ton of options for scoring now and some of those scenario elements are pretty dense.  Take a fast army like Oracles and jam your opponent on their side of the table and you could earn up to 6pts a turn.

Yes but completely jamming your opponent out right away isn't really the norm or what scenario victories should be dependent on :P

I also don't see any scenarios were you could get 6 points in one turn, but I may be missing something.

Edited by wolf9416

StreetPizza    20

Spread the net:  3 zones + 1 flag + 2 for kill box

Stand off: 4 zones + 1 Objective + 2 for kill box (that one is seven!)

The pit II: 3 zones + 1 objective + 2 for kill box

The only scenario where its going to be hard to score is Recon.  The others will be CP races.  I don't think that's a bad thing in the slightest.  Also every scenario now has a kill box, nice.

Polipotent    5

Killbox isn't reliable though and at 10" it is going to be easier to avoid.  I mean you basically just have to be slightly out of your deployment.  I think if both you and your opponent play the CP game it is going to be tough to win on CP, at least at the beginning.  Definitely promotes attrition and assassination a little bit more.  With so many ways to score it will be much hard to stop your opponent scoring if he up on attrition. 

wolf9416    15
1 hour ago, StreetPizza said:

Spread the net:  3 zones + 1 flag + 2 for kill box

Stand off: 4 zones + 1 Objective + 2 for kill box (that one is seven!)

The pit II: 3 zones + 1 objective + 2 for kill box

The only scenario where its going to be hard to score is Recon.  The others will be CP races.  I don't think that's a bad thing in the slightest.  Also every scenario now has a kill box, nice.

I didn't realize that we were counting Kill box as a legitimate scoring method xD Its like an extra bonus if your opponent messes up, but not an actual part of the game plan or part of how many points you can get on a specific scenario.

Also I'm not denying that you are able to get a ton of points, but the issue is that your opponent can as well. Getting ahead of them by 6 seems like it will be difficult (again, in the early to mid game when both players have most of their army), but we will see how it plays out.

Edited by wolf9416

wolf9416    15

Also as a note, it looks like the intention/goal of the new scenario scoring was too make it more difficult to win on scenario, or at least to slow it down.

Hungerford from the CID forums:

Scoring is slightly less strong than in previous editions, and jamming is significantly less strong. The intent is to have scenarios which are still live, but to remove the play experience of all scenario play simply being a race to 5 with assassination always being the worst option. We're looking to create a gameplay experience which feels interactive throughout, with control and attrition remaining strong, and increasing the viability of assassination play.

Edited by wolf9416

wolf9416    15

Week three of the Bane thralls/Battle engines CID is posted: here

The TEP gained some hit boxes in this version, going to 23, with the awesome description text:

01010000 01110010 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101110 01110101 01101101 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110011 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110100 00101110

And of course I was curious if that was just a random binary string or if it actually meant something. Translated to text, it reads as: Prime numbers are sweet.

Good job PP, I approve (of the binary.. not of the TEP getting more health :P )

Edited by wolf9416

Xeurian    16

I'm enjoying PP's posting style lately. Today's insider celebrates the release of their online card library which allows you to select a number of entries and then ask the site to generate you a PDF. Best line from the insider is this though:

"If you try to print a thousand models’ worth of cards in a single PDF, I'm told the server will just laugh at you, but it can do a hundred just fine. (I decided it was a pretty great idea to put that many Karchevs on a page. Talk about Karchev spam!) "

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-5-10-2017

Rhonlore    21

The interesting thing is that each card is numbered and the pdf request can be linked to. That means that a site like Conflict Chamber can create a link to a PDF containing a list you created. 

Deademperor    16

Thumbs way up PP for the card database. This was a legit cool thing they didn't "need" to do. 

Though I'm sure they weighed the cons of not having it as a barrier to entry