Sign in to follow this  
Plaguecorpse

Looking for a Hordes faction

I was looking to start a hordes faction once i finish my cryx and i was thinking about trollbloods i was kinda hoping for some advice on a super stompy warbeast build im not too sure what energizes well with what any tips would be appreciated 

Not to be bias, but trolls are about as super stompy as they get. Tough as nails and hit like a Mack truck. They are probably the polar opposite to cryx in every way that I can think of. 

I havn't played them in the new edition, but I doubt they've changed much. Plus, their gargantuan options are just rad. 

Let me know if you're interested, I have about 60 points, so lots of room for options

Depends where you want to land on the meta, admittedly I don't play but I do follow the tourney scene closely.

Right now as far as I am aware it's Cygnar, Circle, Legion and Khador at the top with a sprinkling of ret.

Pretty sure out of those 4 Legion and Circle have the most competitive beast lists right now. I am pretty sure StreetPizza, Wolf and Xeurian will be some of the best sources for this information.

I am sure someone will be in here to tell me how wrong I am haha but those would be the best resources on beast armies here I believe. (sorry if I missed anyone!)

If you're playing for fun, Trolls would be a fine choice but as far as I am aware they are in a pretty bad spot right now.

4 minutes ago, dreadpirate said:

If you're playing for fun, Trolls would be a fine choice but as far as I am aware they are in a pretty bad spot right now.

That's really in a generalized sense. I've seen good players take worst casters in mediocre factions in tournaments and win. 

But I can't say anything as to how good or poor they are... I only play for fun lol I'm not good enough to play serious. 

50 minutes ago, dreadpirate said:

Depends where you want to land on the meta, admittedly I don't play but I do follow the tourney scene closely.

Right now as far as I am aware it's Cygnar, Circle, Legion and Khador at the top with a sprinkling of ret.

Pretty sure out of those 4 Legion and Circle have the most competitive beast lists right now. I am pretty sure StreetPizza, Wolf and Xeurian will be some of the best sources for this information.

I am sure someone will be in here to tell me how wrong I am haha but those would be the best resources on beast armies here I believe. (sorry if I missed anyone!)

I think that is all pretty accurate, although really the faction power levels don't matter that much until you are in the top tier of competitive play. In general player skill is going to be the biggest factor, and if you are of similar skill levels than you may be at a slight disadvantage with trolls but... *shrug*. Things change quickly with erratas and theme forces, and what is considered good may be bad in 6 months.

I would pick what you think looks like coolest and what you would enjoy the playstyle of, and from your description I think trolls fit that pretty well. As Gary mentioned I think Skorne is a good option as well. My first two factions were Cryx and Mercs and I picked up Skorne for exactly what you mentioned, something big and stompy and different from my current options. 

5 hours ago, wolf9416 said:

I think that is all pretty accurate, although really the faction power levels don't matter that much until you are in the top tier of competitive play. In general player skill is going to be the biggest factor, and if you are of similar skill levels than you may be at a slight disadvantage with trolls but... *shrug*. Things change quickly with erratas and theme forces, and what is considered good may be bad in 6 months.

I would pick what you think looks like coolest and what you would enjoy the playstyle of, and from your description I think trolls fit that pretty well. As Gary mentioned I think Skorne is a good option as well. My first two factions were Cryx and Mercs and I picked up Skorne for exactly what you mentioned, something big and stompy and different from my current options. 

Ya im running cryx ive got 3 casters and a ton of options so i thought i should delve into hordes trolls caught my eye because their mean looking and feel like they'd be super stompy. i was hoping to go for hordes that was all about the beast spam but not looking into circle like i just want overpowered tanky brutes no tricks just go in slow and steady and rofl stomp

Hi Plague

There are definitely some awesome stompy builds with trolls and it really depends what your budget is for getting into the faction.  Are you looking to do tournaments at all or just friendly play?

When talking about trolls and beast centric builds you can't go wrong with building into their theme force Power of Duhnia (i mean its there so that trolls can play beast heavy and get free points doing so!).  

Power of Duhnia can only use

• non-character beasts (unless the character has a bond with the warlock.  Hello Mulg with Doomy2)
  • Trollkin with magic abilities
  • Stonescribe
  • Solos with the lesser warlock ability
  • Troll whelps

In return you get 

• Runeshapers go FA:U
  • For every 25pts of beasts you get a free solo or five whelps
  • Warbeasts gain +2THR (less frenzying is good)
  • Friendly models begin the game affected by your up keeps (this helps you fuel the kriel stone a lot easier)

When going beast heavy as a beginner there are two warlocks I'd point you towards to start and that's Doomshaper2 and Ragnor.  Doomy2 will give you a deceptively fast play style (his feat adds +3 speed to your beasts) and Ragnor gives you a super tanky build.

A couple of example lists for 75pts look like this

https://conflictchamber.com/#b71b_-0b539D5-5-050h0hbLfJfJfp0l0m

Trollbloods Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Power of Dhunia

(Doomshaper 2) Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia [+27]
 - Dire Troll Mauler [15]
 - Earthborn Dire Troll [15]
 - Mulg the Ancient [19]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Trollkin Runebearer [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Dhunian Knot [6]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max) [9]
 - Stone Scribe Elder [3]

So lots of beasts and they all get the armor bonus from the stone.  Field marshal overtake from Doomy lets you surf through infantry and there's plenty of heavy hitting there to let you deal with opposing heavies.  Dropping the rune bearer to add a unit of whelps to help with fury may not be a bad idea either.  I've personally lost to this list where Mulg walked (WALKED!) 9" through a forest to reach over my warjacks to put my caster in the dirt.  Nobody ever sees Mulg coming. 

https://conflictchamber.com/#b71bfL5-c60hbL6GcF0k0m2N0b0c

(Ragnor 1) Ragnor Skysplitter, The Runemaster [+30]
 - Mountain King [36]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Trollkin Runebearer [4]
Fell Caller Hero [5]
Fennblade Kithkar [4]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (min) [6]
 - Stone Scribe Elder [3]
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew [2]
Trollkin Fennblades (max) [15]
 - Fennblade Officer and Drummer [5]

Do you like having a gargantuan hit for P+S25?  I know I do and this list lets you pull that off.  I've downed 2 and half heavies in one turn with this puppy and tasted my opponents delicious delicious tears.  Basically you run everything up and feat so that your opponent does 1d6 less damage with every attack, tank out his turn and then hit back HARD!  Note that this list isn't in theme though.  Also note that Ragnor is the battle box caster so he's an easy way to start the faction.

So that's two lists in a nutshell.  If you move forward and want more details just let me know.  I can also bring either one of these lists out to game night if you're interested in trying it out.

Edited by StreetPizza

4 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Hi Plague

There are definitely some awesome stompy builds with trolls and it really depends what your budget is for getting into the faction.  Are you looking to do tournaments at all or just friendly play?

When talking about trolls and beast centric builds you can't go wrong with building into their theme force Power of Duhnia (i mean its there so that trolls can play beast heavy and get free points doing so!).  

Power of Duhnia can only use

• non-character beasts (unless the character has a bond with the warlock.  Hello Mulg with Doomy2)
  • Trollkin with magic abilities
  • Stonescribe
  • Solos with the lesser warlock ability
  • Troll whelps

In return you get 

• Runeshapers go FA:U
  • For every 25pts of beasts you get a free solo or five whelps
  • Warbeasts gain +2THR (less frenzying is good)
  • Friendly models begin the game affected by your up keeps (this helps you fuel the kriel stone a lot easier)

When going beast heavy as a beginner there are two warlocks I'd point you towards to start and that's Doomshaper2 and Ragnor.  Doomy2 will give you a deceptively fast play style (his feat adds +3 speed to your beasts) and Ragnor gives you a super tanky build.

A couple of example lists for 75pts look like this

https://conflictchamber.com/#b71b_-0b539D5-5-050h0hbLfJfJfp0l0m

[Theme] The Power of Dhunia

(Doomshaper 2) Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia [+27]
 - Dire Troll Mauler [15]
 - Mulg the Ancient [19]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Trollkin Runebearer [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Northkin Shaman [0(4)]
Dhunian Knot [6]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max) [9]
 - Stone Scribe Elder [3]

So lots of beasts and they all get the armor bonus from the stone.  Field marshal overtake from Doomy lets you surf through infantry and there's plenty of heavy hitting there to let you deal with opposing heavies.  Dropping the rune bearer to add a unit of whelps to help with fury may not be a bad idea either.  I've personally lost to this list where Mulg walked (WALKED!) 9" through a forest to reach over my warjacks to put my caster in the dirt.  Nobody ever sees Mulg coming. 

https://conflictchamber.com/#b71bfL5-c60hbL6GcF0k0m2N0b0c

(Ragnor 1) Ragnor Skysplitter, The Runemaster [+30]
 - Mountain King [36]
 - Troll Axer [10]
 - Trollkin Runebearer [4]
Fell Caller Hero [5]
Fennblade Kithkar [4]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (min) [6]
 - Stone Scribe Elder [3]
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew [2]
Trollkin Fennblades (max) [15]
 - Fennblade Officer and Drummer [5]

Do you like having a gargantuan hit for P+S25?  I know I do and this list lets you pull that off.  I've downed 2 and half heavies in one turn with this puppy and tasted my opponents delicious delicious tears.  Basically you run everything up and feat so that your opponent does 1d6 less damage with every attack, tank out his turn and then hit back HARD!  Note that this list isn't in theme though.  Also note that Ragnor is the battle box caster so he's an easy way to start the faction.

So that's two lists in a nutshell.  If you move forward and want more details just let me know.  I can also bring either one of these lists out to game night if you're interested in trying it out.

this is exactly what i was looking for youve all been super helpfull thank you and i am planning on going tournament sometime either cryx or trolls when i get em :P

Glad to be of assistance.  Just remember when planning for tournament play that you should have at least one 75pt list to be legal and two lists if you want to compete.  Planning list pairings is an art on all its own.

12 hours ago, StreetPizza said:

Glad to be of assistance.  Just remember when planning for tournament play that you should have at least one 75pt list to be legal and two lists if you want to compete.  Planning list pairings is an art on all its own.

for tournament play can i have my two list of different factions?

38 minutes ago, Plaguecorpse said:

for tournament play can i have my two list of different factions?

Both lists have to be of the same faction for just about any tournament.

13 hours ago, Plaguecorpse said:

so how does the fury work with the krielstones can you like leach all the fury from your warbeast and put the extra on that?

The Warlock can only add fury to the Krielstone during the Warlock's activation. As such, you cannot move fury to the Krielstone during the Control Phase while you are leeching from your beasts. It is not a fury management tool.