Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

Possible Screw-Up with Amonkhet Masterpieces

On another forum that I frequent, an issue with the new Masterpiece cards for Amonkhet has been realised. These are, as it turns out, not Tournament Legal. Check this out:

A friend of mine was insisting today that the Amonkhet Masterpiece cards shouldn't be tournament legal because they don't have black or white borders.

Well according to the tournament rules ; 

Players may use any Authorized Game Cards from Magic: The Gathering expansions, core sets, special sets,
supplements, and promotional printings. Authorized Game Cards are cards that, unaltered, meet the following
conditions:

• The card has black or white borders.

So these are, by the current rules, not tournament legal. Comparing side-by-side:

en_5Q0AduwnpS.pngen_LCChgkZUMv.png

The first being the new one, the second being the Kaladesh Invention. Quite clearly, the new ones don't have a white or black border. Note, these are both links direct from Wizard's website, which means they would be showing the border. And they can't just say "you can play these, but only with sleeves" because that opens the doors for other non-black/white bordered cards to be played in sleeves. This is a rather significant mistake that, while it may seem fine on the surface, has some compounding layers of issues as you dig deeper into their tournament system.

Well, not that big a deal, they just got to bite the bullet really. But still, it'll be interesting to see how Wizards responds to this.

Edited by Yarium

I really liked Kaladesh inventions and full art expeditions but I have to say the new masterpieces kind of remind me of Yugioh. Not sure if it's good or bad, but for me personally they really lack the fluidity of wotc usual designs. Feels blocky and kind of ugly.. waiting for the april 1st joke.

I doubt it. These are definitely them. But I agree, I really dislike these card frames. I know they wanted something special, but I find it hard to read because of the useless extra characters in the card-name and card-type lines. Also, the artwork on all of them is so same-y that I have a harder time identifying one masterpiece card from another.

It's as though WotC controls tournament rules for card legality, and the rule updates come out the friday before the pre-release....

That said the cards are ugly and they should feel bad.